Normal Anthias Behavior?

Rayr18

Hey Everyone,

I have a male and female Lyretail Anthias.  The male is constantly divebombing the female. The question: Is this normal Anthias behavior?  Female seems annoyed.... he keeps her in one area of the tank.

TIA for your responses....

You might want to get a couple more females. It'll help spread the aggression and they'll set a pecking order. If they are relatively new around each other, he could be asserting his dominance.  

You might want to get a couple more females. It'll help spread the aggression and they'll set a pecking order. If they are relatively new around each other, he could be asserting his dominance.

Agreed...I'd add atleast 2 more females, if not 4... Depending on your space, keep them in a odd number and be ready for some craziness in setting the order....

(edited)

I am worried about adding more with the size of my tank . My tank is 75 g.  The two anthias I currently have are 4".  Does anyone think adding more would be a problem in a 75 g tank.?

Livestock:

2 Anthias

McKoskers Wrasse

Mandarin

Kole Tang

Hippo tang (small)

Royal Gramma

Pair of clowns

Edited by Rayr18

I'm a big advocate of fewer fish fewer problems. But I think it might be able to. I'm curious how odd numbers helps? I wonder if the female is starting to turn male for and unknown reason. I have heard that can happen and cause problems.They have been in there for a while now and peaceful until now right? I remember seeing them

(edited)

yeah fairly peaceful..he has always been divebombing the female anthias, but it does seem to be getting worse. Also, she does not look as healthy as she has in the past.  I don't think she has been eating as much.

Edited by Rayr18