macroalgea for beginners

Sharkb8

I just started my first refugium. Its an HOB CPR type (large) and I have one small piece of macroalgea (looks like small ferns) from another member who is moving at the end of January. I need more macroalgea. I was wondering if someone could post a list of the most common available and their benefits/detriments and which are most highly recommended. Lastly, where can I get some??

Thanks!

What you have is most likely feather caulerpa. Caulerpa is a family of macroalgaes that is very widespread and that grows rather quickly. It can also be very invasive and once it plants its root system it can be very difficult to remove. There are several types that are readily available in the aquarium industry, from the feather that you have to cup, grape, and a few others. The problem with caulerpa is that it reproduces sexually at times. This process involves the entire plant becoming clear and then disintegrating. This releases all of the nutrients back into your system and also results in a large amount of decaying plant matter. I am not sure of the repercussions of this as far as how the caulerpa reproduces after this, but my assumption is that it releases eggs or spores at this time and these spread throughout your system. The invasiveness of this plant has caused it to be banned in several states as it has completely destroyed ecosystems (do a search for caulerpa and California, they were the first to ban it I believe).

There are other types of macroalgae as well, the flavor of the month right now being the chaetomorphia. It does not disintegrate, can grow in a very tight space as it turns more or less into a brillo pad without losing the life in the lower levels, and does not reproduce sexually. It also does not send out roots so can be removed without a lot of difficulty should you need to do so. As I said, most people around here have chaetomorphia. I got mine from Bob (Rocko918) over the summer and have since given out large chunks of it to many of the people who post here. It takes about 2 weeks or so for it to grow into a sizeable amount in my system and then I can prune it back. It also is an excellent nutrient sponge when used in the right way.

There are other macroalgaes available, including gracillaria, sea lettuce, halimeda, and a few more, but these are not as common. The first two are typically used as food for tangs as well as nutrient export as they are very easily digestible and gracillaria is one of the natural foods for tangs. Halimeda is not really edible as it is calcium based, and hence the knock on it is that it leaches calcium from your water that you are dedicating towards corals. I have not found it to be a huge source of calcium intake and it grows in spurts. You can also utilize certain types of kelp which are randomly available, maiden's hair, blade algae, or a few others, but those are generally for purchase rather than for trade. You could also go beyond macroalgaes into trees such as mangroves, but they are, from what I have researched, not as quick to absorb nutrients from your water column. I had mangroves before and I noticed that they didn't do a whole lot to improve the water quality, although they did provide an interesting habitat for various creatures.

Oh, and if you want some chaetomorphia, I'll have some in another week or two. Mine is not growing right now as I've got it in the dark while I stage coral donations in my refugium for the school. Once I put it back in, though, it should grow out of control. I've got some reserved for Dave Beasley as well, but like I said, it should grow out of control once I put it back into the light.

above is all good info.

you are sure to get a chance to trade / buy / or otherwise aquire some at a meeting or a member may offer it free. I just gave mine a big trim.

Marine Scene often has Cheato and feather / grape calerpa for <$10.

Thanks so much for the rundown. Yes, I think I may have what you suggest, and furthermore, it looks like when I got it, it did do the reproduction thing. So some of it is disintegrated and some is growing. I think it would be best to remove it after what you said. I will do a search on the name and see if it looks the same as what I've got. I guess I need some new stuff to replace it with pronto.

I was using an old dual 9W PC that had an actinic and a regular everyday bulb in it, but I switched that off to a nano. I now have a $15 dual 13W PC utility light from Lowes that has 6500K bulbs in it. The chaeto is off to the side under no light right now, but the little tiny pieces in the bottom of my refugium are growing like mad. I expect the chaeto to explode when I put it back under the light once all the frags are moved out to school.

Post a picture. It's whitish/clear where it's growing, too. I'm not sure what the balls you are talking about are, although it could be a sponge or something else living on the caulerpa. I agree, don't simply toss it. If you keep it well trimmed you won't have much of a problem if it does go sexual with releasing and overloading your tank with nutrients. It's also good to have a variety of different foods. I also think that the caulerpa is healthier (could be wrong) food for tangs and algae grazers than the chaeto.

Information/misinformation:

I've heard that certain caulerpa is less likely to go sexual than others. I just did a web check however and that may not matter enough to aquarists to make a difference. Two things that help to prevent it though:

1. You can interrupt the cycle by regular pruning. If you prune it back, it takes a while and then rebounds. Just prune it once it seems to be taking off again, however that routine appears in 'fuge.

2. You can leave your 'fuge lit 24/7 so that it never goes dormant.

I did it that way, but now I don't bother. It has never gone sexual on me.

Hope that helps.

FF

Guest Edwardj

Can anyone spare a little chaetomorphia? I just set up a 95g tank with a refugium, but I don't have any plants or algae yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a few corals so far, a few fish, but I'm holding off until I can get the refugium up and running.

Edwardj