Rhyme or Reason to Powerhead Placement

makai531

I have 29 gallon FOWLER with an anemone. I have 2 Koralia 425 PH placed center sides, ~3inches from water line. They are pointed down 15-20 degrees. I just arbitrarily placed them that way. Is that right, wrong, or is there better way to do it? Everyone seems happy. Anemone is tucked into a corner under short rock with his foot protected from flow, but tentacles are moving gently in open area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Powerheads are used to push the water, so you obviously would like to try and create currents and push and pulls.

If things are happy in your tank, I wouldn't change them. So long as your getting enough surface agitation you should be fine. Be warned that if you change the flow, your nem might move, not that it might not anyways :)

Sounds good to me... and apparently has been thus far. ;)

Everyone's tank is different, and in such, require different needs. Sounds like yours is perfect for you, but as Sublime said above.... As long as there is surface agitation, should be good to go.

If it aint broke...

But if it is (red slime cyano etc), then look into "gyre" flow patterns and see if you're rock-work would allow you to pursue something like a gyre. Also, you do want some surface agitation

Okay thanks for the info. If the centers the streams would cross, the cross point would be about 6/10th high from the bottom and halfway from front and back. I don't think the powerheads are causing any surface agitation, however I am using a Penquin 330 which the output pours onto the surface as well as the reef octopus HOB 1000 which skims from the surface. Again, no problems so far. And a question because I'm trying to understand the whys of this hobby, why do you need surface agitation?

Unrelated question(will send different post if necessary) - I just noticed whitish, clearish growths, most round, smaller than a Q-Tip head, with protruding short hairs on my purchased live rock. It's been there for awhile, but I thought it was anemone slime from when he was under this rock. I now see that it's something else that is living. Something I should be concerned about? Will try to post picture.Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, looks like a pineapple sponge and some type of other sponge. Healthy parts of tanks, no worries!

Surface agitation keeps a film from building up on top of your water, and it also oxygenates your water. Both of those are also good!