Fish advice

Tracy G

Ok so my 2 Mccoskrr Flasher Wrasse have some beat up tails. Hoping it is nothing more than to establish dominance but any advice would be great. Here are a few pics

Posted ImageThe Male

Posted ImageThe Female

Posted Imagehard to tell but the Male was chasing the female. Will they work it out? Or could it be Fin Rot or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were both males for sure but the smaller one turned Female for sure. Color almost gone and looked very plain. Now the smaller one is coloring up a bit I'm guessing it may be a power struggle. Hopefully it's just that and not Fin rot

They were both males for sure but the smaller one turned Female for sure. Color almost gone and looked very plain. Now the smaller one is coloring up a bit I'm guessing it may be a power struggle. Hopefully it's just that and not Fin rot

After doing some quick googling I can't find anywhere where a male McCosker's can turn from male to female.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/flshrwreprof.htm

The smaller one might be a sub-adult male, or was a sub-adult male. This would explain the aggression towards each other.

From WWM -

"Male to female sex changes in wrasses have been triggered under lab conditions through the use of hormones this doesn't happen under wild or normal aquarium conditions."

Well this is interesting: 

All species are born female and usually go through one or two juvenile color phases before adulthood, which is known as the initial phase.  Under the right circumstances a female can transform, irreversibly, into a male with a very different color pattern, referred to as a terminal or supermale.  Many wrasses live as harems with several females tended by a supermale, however some imposter males may retain female coloration to compete with the supermale. 

Edited by Sharkey18

That makes a ton of sense...... Was told a little different but that explains the color change.

I was told a few weeks ago by a LFS that it was ok to keep two male McCoskers because one of them would eventually turn female.  That didn't sound right to me.  After a little research I decided not to get two males.

How big of a tank do you have them in?  If the aggression continues you may have to take one out....

I was told a few weeks ago by a LFS that it was ok to keep two male McCoskers because one of them would eventually turn female. That didn't sound right to me. After a little research I decided not to get two males.

How big of a tank do you have them in? If the aggression continues you may have to take one out....

yeah was thinking that as well. I have a 4x2x2 120 gallon.

yeah was thinking that as well. I have a 4x2x2 120 gallon.

That's a big tank compared to mine.  Hopefully they find their own territories in there and stay away from each other.  Keep us posted