Incredible aquascape contest

sen5241b

I'd love to see something similar for marine tanks....we so often fall into the trap of merely collecting cool corals instead of building cool aquascapes

That's some of the best photoshop I've ever seen.  :ph34r:

not photoshop...or at least I've seen tanks that are close in person.  FW plant folks have long eclipsed most reefkeepers in terms of scaping.  Plants grow fast and are easier to trim (though the fast growth makes constant trimming a necessity).  

Definitely feel that a nice planted tank with good scaping is more work then a reef.  The guys that keep tanks for contests will grow everything for the perfect shot, trimming daily sometimes, and then get that perfect pic and often tear down the tank. 

If you want to see some beautifully scaped tanks that are a little older, google tom barr.  He's a master, basically the equivalent of Craig Bingham or Julian Sprung for planted tanks.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/tom-barrs-180-gal-video.6445/

That's some of the best photoshop I've ever seen. :ph34r:

These are definitely real.

Plantedtank.net is a great source of information as well as barrreport.com (Tom Barr's website/forum).

Like others have said once these plants get growing, they need constant trimming. I was trimming my tank every 2-3 days, and It's not uncommon for people to have to trim every day.

Unlike some reefers, I think some fresh tanks can really be very cool; fresh water rays, ciclids, etc. Have you seen the price of a piranha? For planted tanks though snails are your worst enemy in the world and no matter amount of copper can kill them all. Been there done that.

Unlike some reefers, I think some fresh tanks can really be very cool; fresh water rays, ciclids, etc. Have you seen the price of a piranha? For planted tanks though snails are your worst enemy in the world and no matter amount of copper can kill them all. Been there done that.

Freshwater Nerites are fine for planted tanks... others, not so much!

Assassin Snails take care of most pest snails in a planted tank.  They are cheap and will reproduce given the right conditions.  They haven't bothered my fw Nerite snails either.   I love my planted tanks, however, they certainly do not look like the ones pictured.   

Clown loaches can also eliminate a whole tank's worth of pest snails.  I had a the old 240 as an amazon planted tank.. within weeks I couldn't find (obvious) snails.