New Year's Tragedy

Gadgets

Well I hoped that all would be well for the new year, but things never go as we plan. I got a call early this morning (2:00am) because my cousin that was taking care of my tank dosed too much calcium and alk buffer. He said that the tank was completely white and that he could not see into the tank. I showed him how to a water change, but we didn't go through with it because I didn't want to make things more complicated for him. He called me a few minutes ago (9:50am) and reported that the tank has mostly cleared up and he desribed some of the sps corals and said that he thinks they are doing well, but some of them have some white on them.

I hope that it turns out ok. If not, I will start from scratch and maybe change a few things that I didn't like. I am done venting, just wanted to tell you guys what happened. Thanks for listening and good luck with your tanks.

Ouch.........sorry to hear about that..........hopefully everything will be okay. Sounds like a CA precipitation & lots of tanks have come through those just fine (crosses fingers).

Thanks guys everything seems to be back on track. I wont be back until this weekend. So i will let u know how everything is hjolding up.

Chris - let me know when you get back.

Hope all goes well with the tank but this may be the opportunity to fix things you didn't like.

Guest Pandora

I had a kalk overdose 2 months ago when the injector leaked, similar thing happened to me when I got overprecipitation. The worst thing that happens, I think, is that the pH rises fast if you don't have enough buffering (water had been buffered pretty well prior to that, but it was still a problem). Out of my fish, I ended up losing a young 6 line wrasse, but all the rest were fine, and out of my corals, it seems like the most vulnerable was my supposedly indestructable colt coral, since it was so soft bodied and coated with the white goo. The xenia and a lot of the softies closed up for almost a week, but at the end of that, everything but a green nepthea (also soft) pulled through. It looked really bad for a little while despite water changes, but now things look better than ever, so don't despair.