New Member - w\ Green Algae Issues Already :(

I bought a pair of these aquarium light hooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-2-Pack-Fixture-Aquarium/dp/B004K7XBAA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390229307&sr=8-2&keywords=aquarium+light+stand

After mounting and elevating the light array I removed the glass top cover.  The coverage seems to be dispersed a lot better and not nearly as intense.  

I've been feeding my single yellow tail 3-4 pellets of food a day which keeps him just as happy.  After a 4 gallon water change the algae is much slower to recover, even without peroxide dosing.  

Thanks for all the advice!!  Now to add some coral :)

I would battle the algae first and make sure your water quality is where it needs to be before adding coral. Will you be at the meet ? I have some test pieces you can have if so.

Welcome.

I would cover the tank with black paper and turn off the light for 2-3 days to kill the algea. keep feeding your fish.  Hope it helps.

One thing to note if briopsys/ hair algae is not going to care that much if lights or no lights. If not that type then lights out May reduce but not cure the problem. Also test the water you are doing the water changes with. You may be unintentionally feeding the issue.

A book that I worth the read is "algae, a problem solver guide" by Julian sprung. Isbn 1-883693-02-0

Edited by kngfisher