Putting back a removed overflow box

st9z

I am thinking about purchasing this tank I found on Craigslist. It is a 150 Gallon reef ready tank. The problem is the owner removed the black overflow boxes. I think it should be pretty easy to put back in right, just some good old silicone. But just to be sure I wanted to check with you experts first. Also does anyone know why are there 4 holes for this tank? My last tank only need one on each side for the plumbing going into the sump and back into the tank.

Pic of tank the 4 white holes are the drilled holes behind the overflow. 

00e0e_fhx9igzd6TI_600x450.jpg

I'm thinking it was 2 overflows, and 2 returns...

There are pro's and Con's for both... That would be the quickest/cheapest route.

Either way, plan ahead and ideally... Do what suits your needs and taste... NiceTank

Some people would say leave them off and drill:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/62736-to-remove-corner-overflows-or-not-to/

haha initially I was apprehensive with the idea of siliconing the overflow back on now...you have me scare sh*tless on drilling.

It would be nice to leave them off and save on all that space but I don't have any tools or the confidence to drill the tank :sad:  

Hey Niki - If it were me, I would silicone a piece of glass of the existing holes and put a glass holes overflow on the back of the tank.  If you want help drilling the tank, I can do that for you.  Just let me know what you need.  In the mean time, you should check out the glassholes website, glassholes.com.  You can get the entire overflow kit.

Hey Niki - If it were me, I would silicone a piece of glass of the existing holes and put a glass holes overflow on the back of the tank.  If you want help drilling the tank, I can do that for you.  Just let me know what you need.  In the mean time, you should check out the glassholes website, glassholes.com.  You can get the entire overflow kit.

Thanks for the offer Steve. I'll let you know once I see the tank. I've seen the glassholes.com videos it looks pretty straight forward but still def not comfortable drilling a tank on my own...shaky hands and all :)

Question why is common practice to put the overflow on the length side of the tank? Wouldn't it be prettier on the width side, is there a integrity issue with that?

I think the common practice is just having them on the back of the tank.  I've seen peninsula tanks that have the overflow on the short side.  You're going to want as much room in the tank as possible and for the overflow to be as inconspicuous as possible.  Plus, surface skimming is always a plus so a lot of folks will put more overflow than needed.  I saw a 40g breeder with one of the 1500 GPH overflows on it.  Way more than needed, but it was quiet as can be and great for surface skimming.

Just let me know if you need help drilling the tank.  I've done quite a few and it's a piece of cake.