replace t5 with led question?

cbashaw

I have a 24" geisemann halide t-5 fixture, and ordered 2 24" actinic strips from rapidled.

Can I mount the drivers and led strips in the fixture where the t-5 bulbs were, or would they overheat, and shorten their lifespan?

The fixture doesn't have fans, but I'm sure I could add some small ones though, and I could leave the drivers out too. 

Going by that thread I don't think I will have any issues. He also mentions the thick aluminum of the geisemann fixtures is great for heat dissipation. Thanks for the link... It looks like a great build, I'm going to start reading the whole thread now :)

Good luck with the project.  Be sure to post pictures as you go through with this.

Thanks, I will post it on my build thread once I get the leds in the mail in the next few days.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if someone has come out with T5 form-factor LEDs that would be a 1:1 replacement for T5 bulbs? It seems to me that this would be a no-brainer in terms of market niche - even if you put the driver/transformer in a second "T5," since most lights are multiples of two - but I haven't found them. Just curious.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if someone has come out with T5 form-factor LEDs that would be a 1:1 replacement for T5 bulbs? It seems to me that this would be a no-brainer in terms of market niche - even if you put the driver/transformer in a second "T5," since most lights are multiples of two - but I haven't found them. Just curious.

Coralvue makes tubular LEDs.........not a 1:1 replacement, but close enough.  Ice Cap used to make them but then they went away.