Red Chili Coral care

FrankieGee

I purchased a Red Chili coral from Aquarium One (Nephthyigorgia crassa, N. pinatta) a week ago and its doing fine so far.  Did some reseaech and it's non-photosynthetic, likes to be on the bottom, and medium to high flow.  Someone on another board said (back in 2010) that he hung his upside down under a ledge and it did fine.

Anyone have experience with these corals?  Here's a pic from the net but looks like mine except mine is laying flat on the sand bed.

Do you think I can superglue this monster to the LR?

A week is hardly any time to judge whether or not a coral is "fine". My guess is that it will starve to death unless you baste it with powdered coral foods on a daily basis.

You're gonna want to put it in near dark areas of the tank, preferably under a ledge.

Think Goniopora but harder.

Already in a dark area but am wondering if its ok to super glue to LR and let it hang under a ledge, kina like a bat in a cave  :blink:

I agree with Rob, these are very tough to have and can't be judged in the short term in terms of health.  I would say that if you have had one that has grown over the course of a year, then you can say it's healthy, otherwise it's probably just doing the slow death.  I did try some NPS in my overflow before to see if it would provide it with enough food and this was successful until it got knocked off of its shell and landed in grunge... but then again, if it fell off of its mount then it probably wasn't doing as well as I thought to begin with.  I went with the overflow because I was back there all the time and could look at it and with the flow pattern of my overflow it made it easy to spot feed.  Plus, my overflow was a gold mine for microfauna as it had a lot of water movement but also was a "dead" spot in terms of settlement.  Anything in there that got into the right area of the overflow would swirl around until it eventually settled to the bottom as sediment, but even then, it was still agitated and moved around quite a bit.  This allowed me to have lots of breeding pods as food and also let extra food that went down the overflow break down into smaller pieces until they either settled or moved on to the skimmer.

IME these are among the easier of the NPS corals.  Their polyps are large and can catch just about anything.  They aren't picky re: size and "flavor" of food like dendronepthya or stylasters.  I kept them alive for a long time with just basic powdered coral food, although you do need to feed them at least once daily when they are open.  Try to feed your fish when they are open too, so they get the small bits of that feeding as well.

Thanks for the advice all. Ive been trying to find out when its polyps have been opening but no luck so far. Hopefully they are opening when I'm at work and its eating fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

My chili coral is doing fine. He opens right up when the lights go out. Very cool how the polyps open up and it becomes alive. Hope it survives a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Very cool to hear....

In my earlier days (like 10 years ago) I got one and basically massacred it...not having a good handle on NPS care it will just melt away.. Melt isn't a good word as they were like little daggers when I tried to grab it out to 'save' it...that ish hurt for weeks!

Edited by smallreef

(edited)

Took a pic of it this morning right after turning the lights on in the room.

Up close under normal lighting - polyps extended nicely

I have it under a flat piece of live rock.  

During the day, he shrivels up and hides under the ledge.  During the night, he plumps right up and sticks out.  It's fingers actually stand up.  Pretty cool to see it inflate and deflate.  I hope this is what it's supposed to do and i'm not hurting it.

I've been feeding it ReefRoids every other day.

Edited by FrankieGee