Quarantine Tank Checklist

stevil

Ok - next step - Quarantine tank.

I've searched the forums and found some good info already.

So it looks like I need:

1 tank (5-15 gal)

1 small heater

1 filter (sponge or HOB)

Some stuff for fish to hide in (PVC pipe)

And maybe a powerhead

What is the difference between a sponge filter and a hang on back filter? It looks like some people one, or the other, or both. It seems that folks who use a sponge filter also use a powerhead, but with just a HOB, no powerhead.

Also, should I worry about any lighting?

Anyone have any extra QT stuff they want to give away? :)

What is the difference between a sponge filter and a hang on back filter?  It looks like some people one, or the other, or both.  It seems that folks who use a sponge filter also use a powerhead, but with just a HOB, no powerhead.

You got it, It's a matter of preference

An HOB will provide you with the water movement. A sponge will not.

Also, should I worry about any lighting?

If you intend in QT corals, yes

Fish only, no. a standard light bulb will do

Me? I use live rock for long term filtration and a small powerhead for water circulation. My QT tank is a 5 gal. For shorter periods, I go with daily waterchanges. I take out a gal of water out of the QT tank and top it off with a gal of water from my main tank. This, IMO, enables the inhabitants to get acclimated more readily to my main tank as the QT goes by. And when adding the gal of water from the main tank, I drip it with an airline.

You got it, It's a matter of preference

An HOB will provide you with the water movement. A sponge will not.

If you intend in QT corals, yes

Fish only, no. a standard light bulb will do

Me? I use live rock for long term filtration and a small powerhead for water circulation. My QT tank is a 5 gal. For shorter periods, I go with daily waterchanges, no live rock or aother kind of filtration. I take out a gal of water out of the QT tank and top it off with a gal of water from my main tank. This, IMO, enables the inhabitants to get acclimated more readily to my main tank as the QT goes by. And when adding the gal of water from the main tank, I drip it with an airline.

48494[/snapback]

:blink: :blink: :blink: HUH?!?! How did I do that! :wall: (sorry for the double post) :unsure: