DIY LED Cannon 10W built with spare parts

nova423

Have plenty of cheap fleabay LED chips from building grow lights for my ladies indoor garden shelf.

So I decided to see if I could rig up a nice LED cannon with some spare parts I had around the house.

Apologies for the crappy cell pics.

Items

The beauty of this build is that the CPU cooler fits perfectly in the ikea caddy.  Secured with zip ties, it mounts nicely.

6_webcannon_zpseb655405.jpg

The ikea caddy has tons of holes and is made of aluminum.  Since I am underdriving this 10W LED, and mounting it on a relatively massive heat sink, I am not running the fan.  

9_webcannon_zpsf6918def.jpg

I mounted the driver on the back with some extreme velcro.  Some excellent light comes out of this thing!  Runs extremely cool too.

1_webcannon_zpscf3145cc.jpg

I put a mylar reflector repurposed from an old T5 fixture around the cannon, I cut it to size and secured with velcro.

3_webcannon_zps294cc8bc.jpg

The reflector really helped with some off the light leak with the holes in the ikea caddy.

4_webcannon_zpsc7082548.jpg

Letting it run right now to see how hot it gets.  Next step is figuring out a mounting system.

This is a prototype, I plan to build another and wire it and this one up to a 2 up board with two Meanwell LDD drivers hooked up to my StormX.  More to come!

5_webcannon_zps1baefa62.jpg

Very nice build. I'm looking at making something similar for my in sump frag tank. How is that driver working out? Do you know if it would be able to drive 4 10w multichip LEDs?