Suggestions on should I and/or how to switch to Biopelllets from Vodka dosing

FishyPapa

I've been dosing vodka for a few months and its helped keep nitrates in check but I also now (thanks to Kjamaya) have an extra reactor (TLF 550) that I could turn into a biopellet reactor (as well as a bag if pellets).

I'm wondering if I should try switching to it and if so, what would be the best method to wean off the vodka (not myself I'm still gonna drink it!) and into the pellets. It would definitely help those times when I forget to dose or am out of town.

Any suggestions?

I would fire up the pellets for a couple of weeks and then slowly back off the vodka. The pellets take a while to kick in. I don't think there is much risk overlapping both for a little while.

I found some bacteria additives seem to help the pellets kick in.

What seemed to work pretty well for me was to fill a bucket with tank water (the dirtier the better), then put a big splash of Microbacter 7 (or prodibio, etc) and a pump in the bucket and run the pellets in their media reactor in a loop with bucket water for a few days.  You'll know when the bacteria kick in- the bucket will get cloudy and start to foam like a skimmer where the water from the reactor output splashes back in.  You can then just lift the pump out and move the reactor full of bacteria-laden tank water over to your main system.  Watch the skimmer foam like crazy for a few hours so you know those pellets are good and seeded.