sarcophyton rot

mogurnda

Well, I guess decapitating my big toadstool was a bit much.  For about 3 weeks it has been going through the usual sequence of generating a new capitulum (sp?).  However, now it is starting to degenerate at around the base, turning to a spicule-filled mush.  The rest of the corals, in addition to some progeny right next to the parent colony, look great.  Water parameters seem very good (pH 8.4, alk 3.5, Ca 400, NO3 2.5, in a 20 gallon that's been running as a reef for about 2 years).

Anybody have any ideas about what to do?  I have been scrubbing the dead stuff off, but should I do surgery?  Should I just remove it, and be happy that I have the small colonies?

When you say decapitating, what exactly did you do?  If the base of your sarco is degenerating, I would take a new razor blade and cut the base about .5 to .75 above the decaying part and attach it to another rock.  You can glue it, or use a toothpick.

I had a very large toadstool and the stock, about 3/4 of the way up, simply snapped.  I am in the process of reattaching the head to a new rock.  I pulled the decaying base out and I almost passed out by the smell, so be warned...

Good luck.

When you say decapitating, what exactly did you do?  
 Literally cut the top off for the last WAMAS meeting.  This is what it looked like before decapitation.  The capitulum is about 5" across, and goes about 8" into the plane of the photo.

toadst110803.jpg

Now it's just a stalk, with a new head developing.  And some rot around the base.

The stock of mine was a little smaller but the head quite a bit, from what I can judge from the pic.  How much rot is at the base?  Is it literally falling apart or is it at the oustide of the stock?

From your message I assume this has been going on for a few days, if you have seen constant decline I would cut the stock, root it elsewhere and remove the decaying stock.

Allright, I'll take a razor blade to it tomorrow.  I'll be home too late tonight.

Edit: The deed is done.  I removed all the unhealthy tissue I could find, plus a good bit of healthy-looking stuff. We'll see.