Crosshatch Trigger Fish

Caribbean Jake

Hey Jake, I've actually seen them for sale in Chicago for $1500 for a mated pair. Never thought they were especially attractive, but given how rare they are, people will buy them... by the way, I believe the pair in Chicago ended up selling for around $800 or so...

Guest HVF21221

That is a good price. Not sure how much the shipping would be from HI. A LFS up in Baltimore still has one left for $180. Here is a pic of my pair. I think they have great color in a reef tank.

triggers1.jpg

Howard

To each their own. Shipping from Hawaii was around $100 for my pair. I did not buy mine on ebay, but I the collectors I bought from sell on ebay from time to time. They did a great job, ran a special run for me on other Hawaii endemics, etc. Nice benefit to have lived in Hawaii for a few years ;>)

Here is picture MarinaP took of my male crosshatch:

scottstrigger-vi.jpg

I have heard they are somewhat reef safe triggers and they don't have any specialized needs. Also, they need larger tanks and are on the passive end of the trigger aggression scale but do like a lot of room to swim. I was told before (at the store in Chicago) that they should have a 240 or larger to really thrive, but I assume they can go much much smaller than that. By the way, none of this is based on experience.

one more thing Traveller.  How long have you had this one?  and have you had others before that?

47487[/snapback]

The pair of crosshatch arrived early April 2005. QT'd in a 50g for a few weeks with some large "ich" type parasites. Went into a 288gal double bow, 88"Lx28"Dx32"H, fish and anemone only tank. There is little live rock and mostly open swimming space.

They have not bothered fish, but do chase anything new that hits the water. They feed in a planktivore manner, cruising mysis, etc. They will eat silversides and cubes when the anemones and eels are fed.

Given their swim by day, hide in rock cave by night nature, I would say a 6'x2'x2' is a minimum tank size.

They are known to be susceptible to "tumor" like growths which prevent them from feeding. Anecdotal evidence points to water quality and/or dietary issues. Mine get piles of food variety, I over feed like nobody's business, and my water quality is nowhere near SPS reef levels.

They tend to be more common in Deeper water around Oahu, but very common in the shallows of cooler water islands to the Northwest. Suspicion is they prefer cooler temps, but who knows.

Mine, 6"+ and 7"+, have been great, even with 1" clowns. Color has faded a bit since July, but they look and act just fine. Captive size seems to cap at around the 8" (without tail) length.

I have had similar triggers within this Genus in the past, Blue Throats, but these are my first crosshatch. Back in the day of UGF"s and Bioballs I had most of the available trigger species, but this Genus is the only one I trust with delicate fish.

I sure hope at least some of the above dribble is helpful :)