New Clowns

davelin315

Okay, so I purchased the pair of clowns that was actually a pair of clowns that Hammerhead was selling via Howard. They were listed as Clarkii clowns, but I'm not so sure they are. The Clarkii clowns I've had before have looked different than these, but I'm not sure if they're Clarkii or Sebae. These have 2 stripes, which seems to be the main identifiable difference between the two species, versus 3. The pictures of Sebaes I've seen have usually had 2 stripes, while Clarkii pictures usually have 3. Does anyone know if this is something I can truly use to differentiate between the two or is it just a color pattern? I know that some clowns only exhibit stripes when they are juvenile and that they disappear when they get older, such as the tomato and cinammon clowns, whose stripes go from 2 or 3 to 1 across the head when they are mature, but I don't know if this is the case with either of these clowns as they maintain stripes through their whole lives.

I'll try and post some pictures when I get a chance, and I'll need to clean the glass before I do so, which could be a problem due to a rather large Sailfin (looks to be a Desjardins Sailfin from the Red Sea) Tang that could spike me if I'm not careful. I've already done some comparisons on Flying Fish and Fish Index, but neither provides a lot of the morphology these fish go through so I can't be certain.

Quite a few of the many clarkii color variants have 2 stripes, but none of the clarkiis have the body shape of A. sebae which profiles A. polymnus.

Post a picture when you get a chance.

Kylie's web site, linked above, is pretty darn good, but we have come across a few that don't appear to be added.

Cheers.

OK, I'll post a picture later, but I think I've concluded that they are sebaes based on the 2nd stripe. It continues along the back of the dorsal fin. The body shape appears very similar to saddleback clowns, which I didn't think Clarkii's had, but in looking over the many different pictures, they do appear the same. I haven't found the exact species yet, but I'll take some pictures and post them tonight.

Miscellaneous074.jpg

Miscellaneous073.jpg

Miscellaneous058.jpg

Miscellaneous054.jpg

Miscellaneous045.jpg

Here are some pictures. I have some more, but it's taking forever to post them. Notice the 2nd stripe that continues along the dorsal fin. That is what makes me say they're Sebaes versus Clarkiis.

I only have 2x96W PCs on the tank. I didn't want to put the clam in there, but at $15 it was a steal I couldn't pass up. It's been doing very well, great mantle extension, although it attached itself sideways on the rock despite my best intentions of getting it upright. In the pictures it's pulled in a bit as I scraped the glass before taking pictures, so everything is a bit closed up (it was also later at night, closer to when the lights were going off anyway).

I was thinking sebae because of the dorsal fin. I'll look at the website that Bob supplied and compare it again. I didn't see any Clarkiis that had the stripe continue along the top of the fin, while it looked like the Sebaes all had that.

:bigcry:

HEY!!!!

:angry:

Enough of this, THEIR NAMES ARE BUD AND MARY!

THEY WHERE MY FRIENDS! (for almost 72hrs!)

Quit calling them names!!!!

:bigcry:

HEY!!!!

:angry:

Enough of this, THEIR NAMES ARE BUD AND MARY!

THEY WHERE MY FRIENDS! (for almost 72hrs!)

Quit calling them names!!!!

47465[/snapback]

Wow :huh: