Reefs in Hawaii

paul b

The best diving i've done in Hawaii is off the East coast of Oahu (between Hanama Bay and Sandys beach) .  It's pretty dangerous and should only be done on a calm day by an experienced diver... but the white water attracts all sorts of cool things to look at.

We should have met up - I just got back from a wk in Hawaii on Monday night.  I found the diving off the Big Island to be quite nice, mostly north of Kona. My overall number of dives are not high, but I've dived off the Great Barrier reef and the Caribbean and I thought the dives in Hawaii were equal to those, different - but equal.  Saw one white-tipped shark, and little to no algae.  maybe there are big differences between the islands.  I also heard the visibility was low the week before I arrived due to coral spawning.

The visability where I dove was bad, not because of coral spawning, it was just bad for the Pacific. The corals I saw there were in the worst shape of anywhere I have dove. They looked like some corals in some tanks. Awful. I have seen pristine reefs, but Hawaii is not a great place for diving. If I get back there, I don't think I will dive there any more. I am spoiled.

Mid-late October and early November is not a time for any Hawaiian coral spawning, that I know of...

Regardless, coral spawning does not negatively affect visability in the way Paul has been describing - that's due to massive coastal development, suspended sediments/sedimentation and eutrification of reefs that has been happening for decades.

Hawaii's relative isolation in the Pacific means it is significantly less diverse than its counterpart reefs closer to the coral triangle, though its isolation also means it has a very high rate of endemism.

If you are interested in a little light reading, here is a publication on the state of Hawaiian reefs from a few years back.

http://ccma.nos.noaa.gov/ecosystems/coralreef/coral2008/pdf/hawaii.pdf

Cheers

Mike