Cycling Dry Rock

Tracy G

Any trick to cycling dry rock? Have 50 lbs coming in and want to have it ready for whenever I start my next build what would I need to cycle it in advance? Heater, flow, saltwater, and a bio source? Do I need a heater, or a light or can I go without?

Posted Image

Heater, flow, saltwater, and a bio source? Do I need a heater, or a light or can I go without?

aquarium1778.png

Yup. Yup. Yup. and Yup.  Feed the holding tank a couple of times then monitor parameters.  The heater would be required but not the light. how long until you start the tank?

I'm cheating and mixing in part of the dry with my current tank...a few pieces in the sump with my rubble rock, switched out a mountain in my tank..and just keeping the current live rock I pulled out in a tub with circulation and such to add the rest of the dry rock in with that

Not sure if it's too late for this thread, but yes, you should feed it something, like ammonium chloride, zeovit sponge power, food, etc.  I cycled 80-90 lbs of dry rock by acid washing them (this is critical!!!), and then dumping them into a bucket with a heater, in my garage.  If it's warm enough, you don't need the heater, but I crank it up to 85F to speed things up.  You'll need very good surface agitation too, especially if you are heavily feeding the bacteria.

Look up fishless cycling for full details.  I've done it twice with very good success so far.