Cs2

pettyrd

Can I adjust the airflow through the cs2? I can adjust the water contact time with the valve... But I can't figure out how to adjust the air flow. I added some red slime remover and it is overflowing the collection cup with clear water... I am about to pull the skimmer out and put my SWC back in... I need help.

You need to take the cup off the skimmer when using red slime remover...it says to not run your skimmer, but you need the aeration with it so just take your collection cup off...

Oh and I have no clue about the actual question...

You have two options- lower the water level in the skimmer by decreasing the input flow rate and opening the effluent valve.  Or, you could put a piece of tape over the air intake and punching a small hole in it with a pin.  Widen the hole until you have the desired air intake.  Or, get a short piece of tubing and a valve to go over the silencer intake stem for a more permanent solution.  However, smallreef's advice is correct.

I've had the skimmer off for two days while the red slime remover was doing its work... Turned the skimmer on today and can't get it under control. The effluent valve has zero effect on the overflow problem.. I twist it all the way to the right... Crazy overflow. All the way left... Same.

I taped the air intake and it's working for now. I haven't been able to get this skimmer to perform better than my 5 year old SWC. I feel Ike I must have it set wrong... Two weeks after adding this skimmer (Before the red slime remover) my nitrates were noticeable higher than normal, and the skimmer never produced any dark crud..it's more like green tea. What supply pump do you recommend for a 180gal tank.

I taped the air intake and it's working for now. I haven't been able to get this skimmer to perform better than my 5 year old SWC. I feel Ike I must have it set wrong... Two weeks after adding this skimmer (Before the red slime remover) my nitrates were noticeable higher than normal, and the skimmer never produced any dark crud..it's more like green tea. What supply pump do you recommend for a 180gal tank.

Check with OMAIR or STEVEOUTLAW

I think you just need to let your system run for a bit without it.  Maybe do a water change and try again after a few hours.  Its known to have the issue and an extra water change never could not hurt and should keep you in check till it is ready again.

Or you could sell it to me? :laugh:

i haven't given up on that idea yet... i am giving it one more week... if it doesn't start pulling out the goo.... then i will sell it.

Don't let the color of skimmate dictate what it is pulling out.  Ken Feldman proved this wrong in a nice presentation at MACNA a few years ago.  Here are some interesting articles, specifically on carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus reduction by skimming:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

regarding the presentation at MACNA:

"Ken Feldman had a nice demonstration in his presentation at MACNA. He showed two pictures of a skimmer cup. One was rich and dark brown with dry foam, while the other one had opaque light brown liquid and wet bubbles. The audience agreed that the darker skimmate was superior. He then disclosed that he used 2.6 oz of coffee grounds and some liquid soap he bubbled with a straw in the "efficient" cup. He placed a dime beside the dried coffee to put it into perspective. The "inefficient" skimmate was created with 10 oz of brown sugar and a little less effort with the straw in the liquid soap. The seemingly less efficient skimmate had five times more "stuff" by dry weight and the dime looked more like a peso next to it."

Basically, if the skimmer pulls it out, regardless of color, don't put it back in your tank.

Don't let the color of skimmate dictate what it is pulling out.  Ken Feldman proved this wrong in a nice presentation at MACNA a few years ago.  Here are some interesting articles, specifically on carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus reduction by skimming:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

regarding the presentation at MACNA:

"Ken Feldman had a nice demonstration in his presentation at MACNA. He showed two pictures of a skimmer cup. One was rich and dark brown with dry foam, while the other one had opaque light brown liquid and wet bubbles. The audience agreed that the darker skimmate was superior. He then disclosed that he used 2.6 oz of coffee grounds and some liquid soap he bubbled with a straw in the "efficient" cup. He placed a dime beside the dried coffee to put it into perspective. The "inefficient" skimmate was created with 10 oz of brown sugar and a little less effort with the straw in the liquid soap. The seemingly less efficient skimmate had five times more "stuff" by dry weight and the dime looked more like a peso next to it."

Basically, if the skimmer pulls it out, regardless of color, don't put it back in your tank.

That is a great article.   However, I am not solely basing my dissatisfaction on the color or consistency of my skimmate... it's the rising levels of nitrates that concern me.  It seems that no matter how I adjust the CS2, I cannot get it to pull enough out of the water to maintain the levels I was used to with my old SWC.  That was why I stated that I must be doing something wrong... because, a skimmer that retails for this much and is rated for tanks well over my size, must be capable of maintaining 0ppm Nitrates in a tank as sparsely populated as mine. 

pettyrd,

A quick search shows that you got this 3rd hand.  If you want to bring it to the social I would be happy to take a look at everything to make sure it is operating to it's full potential.  We can also go over settings and optimal tuning in person if you like.

pettyrd,

A quick search shows that you got this 3rd hand.  If you want to bring it to the social I would be happy to take a look at everything to make sure it is operating to it's full potential.  We can also go over settings and optimal tuning in person if you like.

Thank you, but I have commited to selling the skimmer this weekend.