Clown pairs

Mattiejay6

Question,

So when stores sell pairs of clown fish are they bonded pairs or just 2 put together? How do breeders establish bonded pairs? Do they just ave a lot of tanks and move clowns around to see if they bond or not! I'm curious about this.

Clownfish a hermaphrodites, but only in the order of juvie-->male-->female.  I think they call this sequential hermaphrodites.  So, given this tidbit clownfish pairing and bonding is relatively easy.  Any two small fish should eventually work it out themselves.  The dominant fish will become the female and the less male.  I have always heard any others will stay juvenile until they get their shot.  9/10 this will work, but sometimes it doesn't!  Getting them to breed is often more difficult.  There are some tricks (not currently working for me) if you are interested.

Most stores stopped selling "pairs" or "mated pairs" and chose to go with the phrase "bonded".  I assume someone ordered and pair that didn't breed and made a big stink, but I don't know.  LA - Divers Den changed their naming convention about a year ago.

-Scott

• 3 weeks later...

I had my clowns for almost 2 years with nothing happening..........  Added a BTA and it took them almost 6 more months to find it.

Then the battles began.  One clown actually tore the lips off another clown and I figured I had either 2 males or two females thus the cause of fights and figured one would be a tragic statistic.

Guess what.  The clown with the torn off lips became the male and now the pair regularly lay eggs about every 4 to 5 weeks with clock work regularity.  They are both good parents although, I think the male does the majority of the fanning, cleaning of eggs and tending of fry.

I think the best solution is to be patient!!

Bob