Has anyone have/had a Niger trigger in a reef tan

Guest jamjam_77

Guest jamjam_77

Has anyone have or had a Niger Trigger in their reef tank? If so what were your experiences?

I've had one for about three years now. At first I had him in my reef aquarium when I had it setup in Colorado. When I broke it down and moved out here I gave it to my friend who also had a reef tank. I was able to bring him home with me yesterday which was cool. The reason I ask is cause I have never had a problem or did my friend with him eating or tearing up any corals.

I know triggers are not recommended for reef but this guy is awesome. I will admit though he will mess with shrimp but never corals. I'm just curious what peoples experiences have been with Nigers or if you like any other triggers.

I've got a blue chin trigger in my tank and he's a model citizen...

I have shrimp (3 different kinds, claims, corals and small fish with no problems).

Dave

I just bought a blue throat/chin trigger on Sunday and he hasn't caused any problems. I hope he continues to act this way. Good luck with your trigger.

i had a niger trigger and he never bothered my corals. I didnt have any shrimps though. He left me for a powerhead and she didnt let him go! :D

Guest alex wlazlak

id think that once they get bigger they might be a problem(?).. they are neat fish though. my friends dad has a picture of him snorkaling in the ocean and he was hand feeding one.. pretty neat.

Guest jamjam_77

He's about 4 inches now, he's grown a bit since I first got him. Best fish I've had.

I had one - got to over 8 inches (with the streamers). I really did not care for him that much. He was a real scardy-cat: even when I came into the room he would hide. On top of that, he would try to bite me when I was doing maintenance: hide -> zip out and try and take a nip -> hide again :huh: He never bothered any of the fish in the tank when he was added - including a 3 inch coral beauty - but killed any other fish I tried to add after him. He never bother any of the corals, but he would grab a turbo snail and run around the tank with him every so often. He never hurt the snail - just took him for a ride. I had the niger for a year, and so how my 2 peppermint shrimp survived - but they were in the tank befor him.

All in all, I was rather disappointed with him.

I had a blue chin for a month before it went carpet surfacing :bigcry: It was an ok fish, but it looked too much like my naso. It also never bother anything.

Guest jamjam_77

"He never hurt the snail - just took him for a ride."

That sounds hilarious!!! Thanx for sharing

I have a picaso trigger, never bothers corals (soft/zoo) but is hard on hermit crabs and small snails. Any inverts that have survived have learned to go nocturnal-a interesting concept, learning in the brainless-also no new fish need to move in. I tried to put a sand sifter goby in the tank, had to conduct a rescue operation. Likes my yellow tang and mean three strip though.

In all great fish, hand tamed careful to not bite when being fed flakes by hand. (hurts like crazy when he accidently bites)

3 years ago I bought a 125 softy tank with snails, crabs and a coral banded shrimp. The tank was setup for four years and all the fish were put in within the first six months, Two groupers, lion, puffer, yellow tang, sohal tang, few damsels and the niger. Needless to say all the fish were very large and all got along great. I only kept the tangs so I didnt see them but the two days prior to the break down of the tank. They all got along great and were very healthy. He said the trigger was a model citizen though.