Hammer Coral sucked inside itself

Djplus1

(edited)

post-2633366-0-09125100-1375107658_thumb.jpgSo I've got this hammer that looks like this. It's been like this for about 2 months now. I've moved it a couple times for more light, less light, more flow, less flow. Very rarely, one, maybe two tentacles "reach" outward, but it usually looks like this or worse. Any idea what could be causing this. I'm getting ready to test my water today, but all of my parameters have been pretty steady for the last couple tests, so I don't suspect that being the problem.

ps Ive had this coral for 6-8 months

Edited by Djplus1

I'll second franks thoughts about the clowns bothering it, secondly you have some kind of encrusting sponge growing on the base? And also what is shooting out those little feelers in the other side of the base? This other 2 things could be factors also....

My clowns hosted, and killed my frogspawn with love when I had my smaller tank.

Also, Kim is right, there looks like there is a lot going on that frag, sponges, and something growing out the other side. It could be irritating it. Just guessing here, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Yeah scrape off everything you can from the base and yes, if you have a dip feel free to dip the base...I'm not sure how well the hammer deals within...

Yeah scrape off everything you can from the base and yes, if you have a dip feel free to dip the base...I'm not sure how well the hammer deals within...

I've fully dipped hammers, torches and frogspawn for 10-15 minutes before. Unless you think that in this particular instance the coral is too stressed out to fully dip?

Try to scrape off the sponge, while doing this in a separate container... Shake off. and Do it Again....  Then Dip in a Separate container... then You know how the rest goes... But this should help... But Stay On top of it.. Check Frequently.. You may have to do this again if you do not get it all the first time...

The sponge can absolutely %$#* off the hammer. I had a sponge recently that was suffocating my devils soul favia. Once I removed it, the favia came back quickly.