Total System Weight

.OptimusPrime.

Trying to figure out if the first floor of the new house can support the 75 I have currently. The entire first floor is going to be hardwood. If there is any way I can protect the floors from being sunk in due to the weight I'm all ears.  Probably should be able to, but I wanted to run it by the builder to double check and they wanted to know the total system weight. 

I figure 1300+lbs?

100lbs - 75G empty

100lbs - stand

40lbs - 29G sump empty

150lbs - Sand (estimate)

120lbs - Rock (estimate)

850lbs - Water (100G total system volume used 8.5lbs to be safe)

I have no idea how much all the plumbing/t-5/equipment weigh in total so if anyone can chime in. It would be awesome.

Trying to figure out if the first floor of the new house can support the 75 I have currently. The entire first floor is going to be hardwood. If there is any way I can protect the floors from being sunk in due to the weight I'm all ears.  Probably should be able to, but I wanted to run it by the builder to double check and they wanted to know the total system weight. 

I figure 1300+lbs?

100lbs - 75G empty

100lbs - stand

40lbs - 29G sump empty

150lbs - Sand (estimate)

120lbs - Rock (estimate)

850lbs - Water (100G total system volume used 8.5lbs to be safe)

I have no idea how much all the plumbing/t-5/equipment weigh in total so if anyone can chime in. It would be awesome.

That's about right. Remember it's not a point load and you should place it across the floor joists. You can probably assume a uniform weight distribution across the 4' span. 

So I sent the builder this (X marks the possible spots):

EvX5kqM.png

and I just got the call from the builder and they told me it would not be a good idea to place it where I planned. 

The floor joists run front to back and would need to be reinforced if I wanted to put that kind of weight on the floor.

How easy is this to do? I would really hate to give up the bigger tank and stick this one downstairs.

That's about right. Remember it's not a point load and you should place it across the floor joists. You can probably assume a uniform weight distribution across the 4' span. 

Ideally I would like to have the tank against the side wall so the front of the tank isn't facing the windows, but am willing to compromise if I can reinforce the flooring to support it along the joists.

But if joists run front to back the. The 2nd position along the back wall of the living room should be fine.