Newbie pump question

Enkay

I guess this is a real newbie question. I have read online a lot about what the water turnover in a saltwater tank should be and am totally confused. Some say it should be a lot others say not so much.

So, what should be the turnover of water in lets say a 120 gal tank? Once every hour (120 gph) or 10 times that ? Or something in between? How much does it matter ? What does it affect?

Thanks!

two different rates

turnover rater from sump to main tank ......most say 3-6 so the skimmer has time to clean...aka 120g + sump x (3 to 6) you want about a return pump to flow aobut 500-800 gph

inside the tank you have a higher amount of flow with the use of powerheads or a closed loop

if you have a tank with LPS you dont need as much flow 40x-50x (120)

if you have an SPS tank they like alot of flow...50x-100x (120)

in my 90g i have a mag 9.5 so around 800gph after head loss and i have 2 mp40s full blast, tunze 6080, and a tunze 6045.....

I almost went to a 120 and would use around 800-900 gph turn over rate with it as well....actually still using that on my 156g to tell the truth

Then you have to keep in mind your rock work...if your rocks block the flow you need more if yuo have a very open aquascape then the flow will not be impeeded......if you have sand you have to be careful about churning it up.

Hope this helps and not confuses.

basically you want your return pump to push just enough water so that your skimmer has time to clean it/it can heat the main tank etc.

then yuo want flow inside the tank (closed loop/power heads) to make up the rest

well thats how i feel

Edited by Der ABT