Auto top off in my biocube.

Jeff721

So this was a definite need for me after my first week or so and watching my salinty make minor swings because of evaporation and heavy handed top-offs.

ROUND 1:

I went over to a website dealing specifically with the matter and ordered their nano topoff switch.

omsECou.jpg

via autotopoff.com all rights reserved

When it arrived I wasn't really sure about the whole thing. The biocube 14's "built in water level" was a little low for the switch. I had to mount it on the last hole possible and ended up adding an extra zip-tie to secure it. I cut a small channel out of the hood (you can see it later in pics) and slid it down into the built in sump on the tank.

After, I tried to cook up a delivery system using a powerhead that I had lieing around and a few plumbing parts from the hardware store. i spent about $7-$8 on plumbing parts. I was worried that the recommended Aqualifter pump might not be able to handle the head pressure to pump high enough (they say 40").

1bhNtOG.jpg

5nPC6v7.jpg

GpYmYb7.jpg

A couple of problems arose.

1. I didn't want to put that big of a hole in the hood of the 'cube.

2. There wasn't anywhere to put a hole that big.

3. This was going to deliver too much water, too quickly to the system; presumably.

4. I didn't want to pump to turn on a heartbeats-at-a-time because that might lead to early wear.

The other thing was that I did a terrible job on the hole on the lid of bucket that I was using.

L44si4Q.jpg

VERDICT:

This solution works, but it wasn't the best for my system. Better to do on a large system with a sump. The parts are available if anyone wants them, we can make a trade for frags or something.

ROUND 2:

As I was messing about with the kit-bashed system I went ahead and ordered the Aqualifter pump online. I also picked up some black airline tubing.

Much cleaner install:

fHQbOUx.jpg

I was concerned about the hose not staying at the bottom of the bucket so I added some weight via a sterilized rock and a zip-tie.

iFxuWgt.jpg

I drilled a much smaller hole in the hood and slid the tubing in through the back, it tucks nicely into the filtration rack without contacting water. For those beginners ( I had to give it some thought) this is how you prevent back-siphoning, keep some air between the tube and the water. You can also see the channel that I cut for the sensor hanger in this photo.

gkYM2ns.jpg

Of other concern, I added a smaller drilled hole to the bucket lid to prevent a vaccum from being created which would add stress to the pump.

VERDICT:

Man this thing is quiet. Never hear it run. Works great, aqualifter pump produced a steady stream of droplets. Glad that I underwent this project sooner rather than later. I know consistency is majorly contributing factor to success in aquariums.

I added a "DJ powerstrip" at the same time which allows me to easily turn off the auto top off system when I am doing a water change or acclimating livestock. Otherwise the system would kick on and disrupt the salinty balance.

I wanted to keep the project affordable I spent a little over $60 on this project as a whole.

$39 - Auto Topoff sensor/switch

$16 - Aqualifter pump

$4 - Airline tubing

$5 - Bucket and lid

$? - misc. - zipties, etc.

$64 Total

Edited by Jeff721