What can I expect..

.OptimusPrime.

So I have been battling HA and cyano for awhile now and am finally getting the HA under control. Cyano is still an issue but it shows up in 2 spots which I'm assume is due to little or no flow.

I took a toothbrush to some rock inside the tank and scrubbed some HA off. I noticed all that other crud coming off the the rock as well. I took a power head and basically blasted all the rock work inside the tank and you wouldn't believe the amount of crap that came off.

Now I have all these suspended particles in my column and waiting for drain to suck everything down to the filter sock and the skimmer to skim that crap out.

I assume I don't have enough flow over the top of the rocks to keep the detritus off the rocks which may explain the algae issues.

This was probably 6-10months worth of crap I just suspended into my column. Would I see any issues from blasting all that old crud?

I know most ppl take a turkey baster and do exactly what I just did. I plan on adding this to my weekly routine.

I have 40G of water mixed for a WC if need be.

I would probably do the WC just to be safe, due to the quantity of "crud". I'd be scared of an ammonia spike. In the future, if you continue to blast the rocks weekly it obviously won't be as much junk in the water column.

is this a really serious HA issue? is it in your return pipe and overflow? If so make sure you clean as best you can...if it is in pvc or whatever that you can remove from the tank and soak in bleach and water to kill it you will be better off...but if nothing else scrub as best as possible