Skimmer Recomendation?

tainan

I am looking to put a new skimmer in a 200 gallon tank. I ordered a Bubble King Super Marin 200 a month ago and it arrived with the pump housing broken. I have since been trying to get the pump replaced. Long story short - the retailer has finally suggested I return the skimmer because neither I nor them can get a straight answer from the distributer as to when the replacement will arrive.

So, any suggestions on a really good skimmer?

The brand does not matter, just get the correct size. My comment is brand neutral because everyone has their favorite(s) and will support that choice, which will not help your cause. Continue to do your research and avoid being assaulted with brand names. Focus on features that are important to you, such as internal, external, skimmer height, type of impeller, variable pump, sound, and maintenance.

Problem is if you are talking about a SPS tank and alot of fish then

you need to times 5 the ratings from any NEEDLEWHEEL.

If you are going to have a lps/chalice tank then any skimmer will do.

The brand does not matter, just get the correct size. My comment is brand neutral because everyone has their favorite(s) and will support that choice, which will not help your cause. Continue to do your research and avoid being assaulted with brand names. Focus on features that are important to you, such as internal, external, skimmer height, type of impeller, variable pump, sound, and maintenance.

This. Tank is 200g, get a skimmer rated 500g or better. I made a mistake on a particular internal as well, manufacturer said it would fit in a 12" sump but neglected to mention the intake and spout were opposing, and at 11" inches, only had a half inch clearance on either side. It could NOT operate efficiently in my 12" sump. Check dims carefully.

I disagree that brand doesn't matter. There are many brands of skimmer that simply don't perform up to the manufacturers ratings.

If I had to list the skimmers that actually work and are reliable, I'd have to say that any from this list are worth consideration:

ASM- needle wheel

EuroReef- needle wheel

SRO- needle wheel

AVAST- needle wheel

ETS- down draft

Beckett type skimmers

I personally like AVAST because they are easy to use and can be easily modified and they're also a good value.

My second choice would be the SRO but they are considerably more expensive.