Using Kalk

SaltLife

So i have been reading of the benefits of using Kalk but after reading some how to setups and after reading Avast recommended setup for a Kalk stirrer, which i would like to buy, I feel more confused on how to use it and get it running.

Can someone break down in lamen terms how a kalk Stirrer works and how to set one up? From my understanding you can use it in a top off after water has evaporated? But you need to do it slowly? I just need this broken down for me ... Would love to either see pics or experiences with using Kalk (itself) as well!

Thanks!

Where are you located? Would be easier to show you.

Basically you just run your topoff water through the kalk stirrer. You want it to go slowly because the kalk water has a very high ph. I use a bulk reef supply topoff pump to draw fresh rodi water from a bucket, through the pump and into the kalk stirrer. Gravity does the rest - the saturated kalk water slowly comes out of the top of the stirrer into the tank as fresh water is pumped into the bottom of the stirrer.

Yeah, that's the one. I use it in conjuction with the Avast topoff kit connected to my Apex.

The water that gets pumped into the stirrer get pumped towards the bottom of the stirrer.The picture below is from Avast's site... just to the left of the stirrer rod is a clear "straw." That straw makes the new RODI water go to the bottom of the stirrer. I've read in my books that you don't really want the slurrey to go into the water - just the supersaturated kalk solution - and that's what you get at the top of the stirrer.

It's hard for me to explain properly. I hope I helped a little bit :)

k1_lg.png

(edited)

Ahh I see, so let me see if i got this straight...

Avast top off connected to the pump which is connected to the Kalk stirrer and is slowly fed into the sump.

Are there any other top off's similar to Avast design?

Is the two little fishies kalk reactor any good or heard anything about it?

Thanks by the way, this was exactly what i needed!

Edited by SaltLife

Captain Ron is right on. You want the clear saturated water to be what is used as replacement for your evaporated water. The reason you want to add it slowly is to keep from shocking your livestock with the dramatic PH swing. Some people do dump slurry directly into their systems and I don't think it will hurt anything as long as it does not land on any coral (dump it into the sump). But, then you would have to deal with the precipitate building up in your sump. If keep all that in a kalk stirrer or other delivery method you it makes cleaning out the precipitate much easier.

On the doser pump do you run it all day and all night?

Thanks by the way, this was exactly what i needed!

I would put it on a float switch. That way it only runs when you need to refill from evap. That is how I have mine set up.

(edited)

The stirrer motor I keep on 24-7. I also let the topoff pump run whenever it needs to, mostly. The topoff pump is controlled by both the topoff switch, and the Apex. The apex will let the pump run for 5 minutes out of every 15 minutes, or something like that. Some folks will also limit the time when the topoff pump runs based on the pH of the tank too.

Edit to add: The topoff switch also limits when the topoff pump can run - kind of acts like the float switch Jason referenced.

Edited by CaptainRon