JBJ 28g Nano tank with LED Advanced lighting seems way to bright for my corals

Curtis Scott

(edited)

I've had this tank set up for over a year with the idea of making it a mostly softies tank however I've noticed the lighting is very intense. My acans, most of which were rainbows and multi colored, have all mostly turned red and orage colored. Some my blasto (about 5" from the bottom) is duller and visibly not as bright almost like it has been bleached a little by the intensity of the lights. I'm thinking if my parameters are all in order it has to be the lighting that is doing this.

My current PAR readings for this tank are:

2" from the water line

780+

6" from the water line

550+

12" from the water line (acans are here)

200+

I just ordered some 50% window tint online today and hope that will cut these number in half for me.

Does anyone else here own one of these systems and experience the same high intensity lighting?

Edited by Curtis Scott

Additional Details:

The day lights were cut back from 8hrs per day to 6hrs a day a few months ago and still no coloration is coming back.

Will cutting the time back even more help prevent the color bleaching or is the 50% tint really the best way to go?

For other owners: What have you done to fix this?

I have seen other treads at RC where people are complaining about the same issue. Too much daylight and not enough actinic lighting. Some have swapped out drivers for a dimmable kind and others swapped out the daylight LEDs for blues. It depends on your DIY skills if that is doable. The shade screen would work but it bites to use electricity only to block it out.

Some have swapped out drivers for a dimmable kind and others swapped out the daylight LEDs for blues.

I would love to learn how to make the daylights dimmable. Do you have any links to where I can learn how to do this? Anyone?

I agree, I'd rather not cover up/dull out lights I'm paying electricity to run.

Cool, thanks Coral Hind.

If it helps, I have this tank:

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_28_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Nano_Tank_with_Lighting_20_29_Gallons-JBJ_Lighting-JB7137-FIAQNCCKTLTT-vi.html

*** You have to select the the style "LED (Advanced)" to get the details/specs on the unit.

I look forward to any advice or links anyone can offer.

It seems a common complaint about your fixture being too bright. I could not find any past DIY's to correct it. Some used reduced daylight cycles, 6 hours and longer actinic times. Some people use the shade material method. I did find this thread that might help if you feel like doing a DIY. Maybe posting this question over at Nano-Reef site might get you more feedback since there are more users of the JBJ 28g over there.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/321075-need-help-with-jbj-28g-where-is-the-led-gawd/