chalice

reefbox

Below, is a photo of Chalice that I ran across online. Now, this isn't meant as a flaming what so ever. However, it is simply being used as an example to gain opinions of photography technique. I just want people's opinion on this type of photo, Just looking for unbiased

opinions. At first glance, does this photo look like its been edited in any way? Or does it simply look to be a natural representation of the specimen's true and actual pigmentation. Thoughts are appreciated, and I urge posters to keep things civil.

Thanks,.

chalice_zps2b9ece13.jpg

Edited by reefbox

It has been edited in my opinion. going off some of my on editing I have done it looks like it has been sharpened and the contrast has been tweaked. That is my 2 cents.

Judging by the frag disk...there are a good amount of blue leds on....

Personally...I run a lot of blue in my tank so it would probably look similar in my tank...with that said, any frag I buy, I may ask to see under nothing but white to determine actual colot....

That's what I usually ask vendors to do. The ones who know their corals aren't as advertised seem to get real upset from such a simple request. I've been diving before, and sure, there is some blue light in the spectrum. But not neon or actinic-blue color only..

I'm surprised more people don't ask. Think of it this way, the brighter the coral under "actual" color spectrum, the higher intensity under actinic photos in your tank!