Algae help

NYfan78

Ok guys and gals i have. 34 gal red sea max. I have one cleaner and one peppermint shrimp, 2 small chromis, one purple fire fish and various corals. I have been getting this red slim algae that covers spots on top the sand and on some of the rocks. Also will form over some of my pink polyps. Its like a film. I also getting brown stuff covering the sand like diatoms. I have a 4 stage ro/di system from BRS. The water tests at 0 TDS. I do 4-5 gallon water changes weekly. I run Chem Pure Elite. I am at a loss on what to do here! Any help is much appreciated!

Scott

Only a partial help, but if you get one of the Tiger Conchs from Quantum Reefs, they like to eat slime algae. They won't necessarily get all of it, but should at a minimum make a good dent.

I have two of them in my 220 fowlr and they go everywhere! rocks, sand they don't care, but they do a decent job of cleaning up algae

You dont have one thing in your tank that eats algae........bad news

I would have if it was my tank 20 cerith/1 tiger conch/1 turd cucumber

2 mexican turbos and 5 reg turbos plus 2 fish that eat algae.

Once you allow any hair or slime algae to appear its way harder to eradicate

then if you wait to after the fact.

sounds like your tank is still cycling. the cyano is part of the process. let it run it's course and it will go away on its own.

do regular water changes and don't overfeed.

relax and watch the natural process. the more you interfere with it, the longer it will take.

I do have 2 turbo snails, maybe 2 nasarous snails. The tank has been running for over a year now. What algae eating fish would you recommend?

You must have something that eats algae from sandbeds.

If it is sugarsand then tiger conches and cerith snails[or hermits]

Tailspot blennie......lawnmover........small kole

Edited by basser9

I had a kole tang and loved him. I only have. 34 gal. Isnt he too big for this smaller tank?

A tailspot or lawnmover blennie is a small fish.

No a kole is fine get one small....a small atlantic tang there are a ton of fish that fit

that bill.

You can get a very small yellow tang when it matures there are plenty of members

looking for tangs to buy.