Dying Favia but I found something

sturnmeyer

Hey all, I've got something I'm not sure what to do with.

A friend of mine recently decided that he wanted coral and went out and bought this Favia Brain. I tried to tell him he didn't have enough lighting and blah blah blah. Long story short the Favia is dying off.

But looking at it yesterday in his tank I saw mixed in with the dying coral is what looks like a 2 cm long Acan that is doing just fine.

I'd really like to try to keep that alive, so I want to move it to my tank at home.

Should I cut it out of the dying coral or what?

Thanks

One of the many things i learned at MACNA is that even though the coral looks like it's dying the flesh that goes into the hard coral is still alive. I would not toss any part of the brain. Move it to a more suitable tank, it that is yours then take the whole coral. Watch it and make sure it is not completly dead as it will create ammonia.

If I were I would give it a try. Picked up a maze brain about two weeks ago and 90 percent of it was dead. I got it for 5 bucks. I has started to grown back and has beautiful coloration. the outside is purple and the inside is blue. Hope that helps.

Chris

If I were I would give it a try. Picked up a maze brain about two weeks ago and 90 percent of it was dead. I got it for 5 bucks. I has started to grown back and has beautiful coloration. the outside is purple and the inside is blue. Hope that helps.

Chris

39617[/snapback]

Well it was maroon with green centers. All of the green is gone and there are spots on it where the maroon is turning brown. That is what is worrying me.

Take it home and acclimate is very slowly, because you don' want to stress it out more. Put it at the bottom of your tank on the sandbed. And give it a week or two. If it looks as if the tissue is still dying then I think that is is on its way out for good, but if the tissue begins to show some signs of regeneration then I would keep it and give it some more TLC.

Hey rocko. I am not that slow. B)

Well it was maroon with green centers. All of the green is gone and there are spots on it where the maroon is turning brown. That is what is worrying me.

39626[/snapback]

Take it home and acclimate is very slowly, because you don' want to stress it out more. Put it at the bottom of your tank on the sandbed. And give it a week or two. If it looks as if the tissue is still dying then I think that is is on its way out for good, but if the tissue begins to show some signs of regeneration then I would keep it and give it some more TLC.

Hey rocko. I am not that slow.  B)

39645[/snapback]

Thanks gadgets.

Let's say it is out for good. What should I do with the Acan on it that seems to be doing just fine? Cut it off and glue it to another rock?

If it is on the way out, cut off the acan and send it to me. Just joking. I would glue it to another rock if the acan is well. What kind of lighting do u have? What are you water parameters?

do not toss it out. put it in your tank, at the bottom where water is calm and light is medium.. let it there for one or two month... keep adding Calcium through a Calcium reactor or using the Bionic supplements.....you will be surprised what these corals can do afterwards...