Skimmer and sump questions

Muddy357

I am slowly getting everything ready for my 90 gallon rimless build and it came with a eShoppe rs-100 sump and the Skimmer is MXC/SWC (Marine Solutions) 160 skimmer. I am wondering if I should have a custom sump made since this sump is not big enough for a refugium and with the dimensions inside the stand being only 34x22 there is not a lot of room to add an external fuge. Also the skimmer is an older one and was wondering would I be better off to go ahead and order a CS-1 or would this skimmer be fine for a few months and then look into getting a better skimmer. My goal for this tank is to be primarily SPS so I know I will need a good skimmer to help the water clean.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Yeah I know but I am thinking about having a thriving pod population since I want to eventually put in a pair of spotted dragnets.

pods in the fuge doesnt mean there will be pods in the display. i think the only reason i had pods in my tank was because i was using a hob refugium. not quite sure if pods will survive going through the return pump from an under the tank fuge. maybe try to increase its population in the display by giving it some hiding spots.

Well I am planning to have a couple of small rock mounds along the back wall of the tank behind the rock work and since I am planning on waiting about a year to get the dragnets I will be adding a bottle of pods every month to the display.

I am still torn about getting a sump built I just want to have more water volume and room in the sump.

I think that skimmer is fine. If you have the cash then a bigger sump is always good. However, you don't have to have a refugium to have a nice SPS tank.

What other equipment should I look at investing in for an SPS tank?

Yeah I know but I am thinking about having a thriving pod population since I want to eventually put in a pair of spotted dragnets.

^ Jealous...as you can probably pull that off with this size tank and enough rocks/pods...where I will have to wait until I get a bigger tank.

What kind of lights are you planning on? How are you going to dose? If you need 2-part or dosers then jump on the BRS group buy

I am waiting to get the pair a full year to build up the pod population so that way I will have a ton in their and then I can work on getting them on to prepared food.

I will be lighting the tank with 2 evergrow D120 LED lights. Dosing scares me a little because when I first started out I was dosing by hand and killed all of my SPS and that is why I only have LPS now but this is technically my brothers tank and he says he want SPS. I don't think I will need to dose starting out because I will just be getting a frag here and there nothing big. Also what tests kits or testers should I look at getting I have the standard API saltwater test kit but what should I use to measure alk and calk?

I am waiting to get the pair a full year to build up the pod population so that way I will have a ton in their and then I can work on getting them on to prepared food.

I will be lighting the tank with 2 evergrow D120 LED lights. Dosing scares me a little because when I first started out I was dosing by hand and killed all of my SPS and that is why I only have LPS now but this is technically my brothers tank and he says he want SPS. I don't think I will need to dose starting out because I will just be getting a frag here and there nothing big. Also what tests kits or testers should I look at getting I have the standard API saltwater test kit but what should I use to measure alk and calk?

At a minimal, you need the following test kits, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and Salinity. Optional, Nitrate and Phosphate (Hanna). I was going to keep it brand neutral, but I recommend Salifert test kits.

No need to be intimidated by dosing. Testing your water parameters periodically will minimize the risk of overdosing.

Ok I will order the appropriate test kits this weekend. I will be also ordering a skimmate locker this weekend.

If your dosing what is the need for a kalk stirrer?

That is just it I really would prefer not to dose so if getting a kalk stirrer would make it so I would not have to dose then I will go that route if not then I will just have to dose 2 part.

I had the SWC 160 on my 90, and I'm sorry I sold it ! That skimmer works great! That is the same sump I have on my 90. You could alway do an external fuge like I did...just a thought!

I had the SWC 160 on my 90, and I'm sorry I sold it ! That skimmer works great! That is the same sump I have on my 90. You could alway do an external fuge like I did...just a thought!

Steve your external fuge is huge I do not have the space for one that big it would have to fit in the stand. I am probably going to see if Adam will build me one to fit in the stand. I am going to stick with the skimmer for nowand see how it does no need to spend more money if I don't have to you know.

My fuge is a 30 gallon tank. Using that sump it's going to be hard to put a fuge in under the stand. I think your right, just get Adam to make you a custom one that will do it all.

My fuge is a 30 gallon tank. Using that sump it's going to be hard to put a fuge in under the stand. I think your right, just get Adam to make you a custom one that will do it all.

I might need your help with the plumbing.