Hanging lights from drywall

BowieReefer84

Shipping weight is 28lb's (It's a 4 bulb PM and bulbs)

Anyone use toggle bolts to hang fixture from a 1/2" drywall ceiling? I see the largest plastic anchors at Lowes rated for over 100lb each, but I know that's not for ceilings...

It's a popcorn ceiling so putting up a piece of wood and painting to match will look odd.

If drywall won't work I'll build a shelf off wall and hang it from that. I just have to think 28lb's shouldn't be an issue?

I'd use toggle bolts and if possible some little covers to cover the larger hole you have to make. If no covers are available you could take big washers, paint them white to match. Im always scared of the anchor-only designs

Turns out shipping as 2 packages. One is 6lb and one is 22lb. Light is obv 22lb package, so without box and other "stuff" the fixture is probably less than 20lb's. Each toggle bolt will only need to support 10lb's. I will be going this route for sure.

I am currently hanging my 72" Aquactinics Constellation with 2 toggle bolts from 1/2" dry-wall. I believe the light weighs about 50lbs. Been there for over a year and no problems.

Stud finding is hard. I had my husband find two studs on our ceiling with a hammer, stud finder, and even a hound dog...... We ended up haveing multiple holes on our ceiling and decided to build a rack instead. I believe the holes are still there. Matter of fact, I got a weekend project for him now. HAHAHA

Stud finding is hard. I had my husband find two studs on our ceiling with a hammer, stud finder, and even a hound dog...... We ended up haveing multiple holes on our ceiling and decided to build a rack instead. I believe the holes are still there. Matter of fact, I got a weekend project for him now. HAHAHA

I'm not sure if I should feel bad for you, your husband, or your house. LOL.

This should help him though:

And stud finders are hard to use in older homes..but between that, a penny nail and being able to feel the ease of which it goes in or not, is much better than holes all over,lol