What draws less power mh or t5

linkfalcon

6 T5 at 39W a piece puts you at 234Watts

175W MH puts you at 175 WATTS

Now what I don't know is the effiency and power factor of your ballasts. If you look at the label on your ballast it normally identifies input voltage and amperage.

P=IE is the equation you are looking for to figure out Watts,

Watts = Current x voltage, but the values need to be plugged in from the specs on the ballast, not from the bulb.

Generic overview of how you figure it out, if you want to get a more in depth answer you will need to post pics of you ballast labels.

HTH

Scott

To figure out the power usage just add up the watts. However, in lighting it isn't as simple as just the wattage as to what is best for the corals. You need to look at spectrum, color temperature, and induced heat on the system. Also look into bulb replacement costs for each system.

Are you putting 6 bulbs over each of the 40BG's? That's a lot of ligh in my opinion.

P=IE is the equation you are looking for to figure out Watts,

Watts = Current x voltage, but the values need to be plugged in from the specs on the ballast, not from the bulb.

Was that from CDC volume 1? :cheers:

Like we've stated, just add up the wattage and compare or at least give us more info on what types you want to compare.

A 250w Lumatek is going to use more than a 175w or the 6x39w T5s. Also, I feel a 250w is too much for a 40GB.

CoralVue LuXcore Selectable Digital Electronic Metal Halide Ballast Information

Settings: 150w, 175w, 250w, 250w Super Lumens

Input voltage: 120v

Input current: 2.10a~2.30a

Input Power: 260w

Power Factor: > .99

This is the info that I could find and the unit I'm looking at

What are you trying to grow? Personally I would probably go with a T5 that is 6 bulb but a 24" unit. If your only going for softies and LPS then a 4 bulb would be fine. I use a 4x39watt on a 48x18x18 tank.

You can easily get away with a 4x24 or one of those evergrow 120's. Those corals are much less demanding in terms of light requirements. 6x36 would be overkill, and actually could do more harm then good. A lot of LPS thrive in lower light with lower flow.