RO/DI Unit

OUsnakebyte

Well, I'm shopping around for an RO/DI unit, but I wanted to get some feedback first on any good or bad things you all had to say on particular brands, parts, etc.

I was looking at a 6-stage, 100 GPD unit online, but I'm not quite sure what I need.  I probably topoff 5-10 gallons per week, plus water changes, on a 75 gallon tank.

Any thoughts?

Depending on the water quality of your tap water (which varies depending on where you live around here), you really only need a sediment filter chamber, carbon block chamber, RO membrane, and a DI chamber.  I live up in Walkersville and our tap TDS is about 350 ppm.  Running the RO unit, the TDS is around 15, and then 0 out of the DI chamber.  It doesn't hurt to have an additional DI chamber, but they can be added on later.  

ARS has some decent deals on RC:

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/ro_di_product_specials.htm

Some things to consider:

Do you want the automatic shutoff with float valve?  These are handy in case you are making water and forget to turn it off.

TDS meters...hand held rather than in-line are nice so you can check the various TDS reading to determine if there is a problem.  These run abou $20 on ebay.  I have the Hanna 1 and it works well.

Membrane flush kits are really worth it to protect the membrane.

Adjustable flow restrictor to adjust ratio of waste water output to product water (recommended 4:1).  This helps to keep your system running efficiently.

One last thing:  RO membranes run about $45, sediment cartridges $3, carbon blocks around $10, and DI refills around $18, so you can consider buying a used one cheap and replacing all the chambers if needed and it may be less in the long run and you still have a nice system (that's what I ended up doing).

Hope this helps!

I bought a 100 gpd AquaFX unit for around $200.  It is a great unit, though I think you could go for less $ if you shop around.  These units are all basically the same, the real issue is the cartridges, which are fairly universal.  So, as iceman said, buy a cheap used one and put top quality components in it, and you will have a top quality RO/DI unit.

I would go for a 100 gpd, as it will be much less hassle when you need to make water.  Go for the DI, as well.  It is just a couple of bucks more and makes purer water.

Look on e-bay.  I have a 75 gpd unit- takes a little over an hour to make 5 gallons.  You should be able to find one for under $150 shipped.

I have to say, my auto shutoff setup is the best thing I ever purchased.  No more water on the floor (well, due to the RO unit anyway).

-Tom

Guest tgallo

check them out, they know what ther doing as far as ro/di units go and there prices are great.

i like the typhoon series.Neptune_close_up_front_view.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Is there any truth to the rumors that the set up of an RO/DI unit is different when used on a well / septic system and with a water softener than when used on city water?

My RO/DI came over with my on a move out of Fairfax City, and now we have well water, Culligan softener, and my small RO/DI unit, which seems to be operating fine....

Key difference is to have the RO/DI unit attached in before the water softener.  The water softener adds salts that are really bad for your system.

Also there is a concern about biologically active water supply.  If it has bad bacteria and stuff in it, then the RO/DI unit will host it and concentrate it, making a really bad stew.  RO/DI units are intended for treated water (chlorinated) to assure this does not happen.  Make sure your well water is clean of bio hazard.

There may be issues with filters clogging up faster and such like that I am not too up on.  Others may know more.

s

Well, I'm shopping around for an RO/DI unit, but I wanted to get some feedback first on any good or bad things you all had to say on particular brands, parts, etc.

I was looking at a 6-stage, 100 GPD unit online, but I'm not quite sure what I need.  I probably topoff 5-10 gallons per week, plus water changes, on a 75 gallon tank.

Any thoughts?

I got mine from "Water Filters 'R' Us" on eBay.  50GPD 4 stage unit.  mailto:waterfiltersrus@hotmail.com  (407)240-4111.

Dunno if they are still around or not.  Works well for me.

s

Guest DANMOQUIN
Hey guys, I didnt want to start a new topic and i thought this question went along with this topic. Are R.O Units easy to set up and do you need a resevoir for the water to go into or can you put it straight into the tank?

I use a reservoir.

I will make up evaporation by flowing RO/DI water through a Kalk reactor.  W/out the kalk reactor, you would just add it to make up evaporation so salinity does not climb too high.

Also enables you to have a rservoir of water for making salt water in prep for a water change.  see other threads.

s

I bought a 100gpd off Ebay earlier this month for $117 total (shipping included).  That also came with the faucet attachment.

It was extremely easy to set up.  Just attach a few small tubes, connect to the sink, and start making water.

I don't have a lot of room in my apartment, so I find places to stash 5 gallon bottles that I keep water in.  Every now and then I hear noise from the girlfriend, usually something about there not being enough room to walk in the bathroom b/c there are buckets in the way, but other than that, it beats having water delivered at $2/gallon.

Mike

Guest mbad

spectrapure.com

i bought the spectrapure 2000 a few years ago and could not be happier.  great free technical service. :D