Purple dottyback info

miggs76

The color is incredible and I'd love to put one in my tank but I've heard they are complete bullies. Anyone got any experience on them? I have a 60 gallon with 2 clowns, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 chromis, 1 yellow watchman goby, and one clown goby. Tank is VERY peaceful other than the clowns scaring the chromis every now and then.

The color is incredible and I'd love to put one in my tank but I've heard they are complete bullies. Anyone got any experience on them? I have a 60 gallon with 2 clowns, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 chromis, 1 yellow watchman goby, and one clown goby. Tank is VERY peaceful other than the clowns scaring the chromis every now and then.

Do you mean a Pseudochromis porphyreus or a Pseudochromis fridmani?

I ask because the temperaments are much different.

If you just like the color, I would highly recommend a Black Cap Basslet (Gramma melacara). Good color and good temper, plus they are intelligent.

I've had two of the three and the basslet is my favorite.

dont get pseudochromis ... they are pretty but unless u have like other aggressive fish they will pick on the anything bigger or smaller than them...mean fish

ive heard that the tank raised ones arent aggressive...i forget the name...but its all purple ...but after having a bad expereince with one...i didnt wanna retry

u can get anthias in similar shapes and colors and they arent aggressive

dont get pseudochromis ... they are pretty but unless u have like other aggressive fish they will pick on the anything bigger or smaller than them...mean fish

ive heard that the tank raised ones arent aggressive...i forget the name...but its all purple ...but after having a bad expereince with one...i didnt wanna retry

u can get anthias in similar shapes and colors and they arent aggressive

Anthias are great looking fish....can you keep just one? I've read they do best in groups. I really don't want to add more than one fish to the tank. I want to keep it fish light but coral heavy.

They really do best singly. Even when you get an established group their order may be interrupted or change. They really have a lot of character when kept by themselves.

They really do best singly. Even when you get an established group their order may be interrupted or change. They really have a lot of character when kept by themselves.

I heard Anthias need to be fed multiple times a day. Is that true? It's the only reason I haven't got one.

To keep them healthy yes. Especially since lower in the harem fish don't eat as much. I have 3 Huchtii - male and dom female are fat pigs, sub female has a very hard time keeping weight on. I know she's healthy but I can't get her to bulk up at all.

My huchtiis all love to eat flakes - though I've found it's RIDICULOUSLY easy to break off a chunk of Jan's frozen food, thaw it in a cup of tankwater, go about my routine (before/after work and before bed) and feed in a few minutes. Presto! Fed 3 times. Doesn't have to be exact feedings. 2x is fine once they're situated in your tank and have some healthy fat on them. I treat my tanks to even more feedings and treats on the weekends.

Uhhh anthias do well singly or in larger grps...ATM I have 1 and it eats pellets and I feed once morning and once evening...

BUT be prepared that not all anthias take to dry foods well....for me dry foods are important cuz I don't have time always to do other types or if I am traveling

I have heard that bartletts and lyretail adapt most easily to dry foods like pellets

I have a lyretail anthias now...if I saw another lyretail or Bartlett eat pellets I would buy it outright

I had another anthias disbar before and none ate pellets and eventually all 3 died...they were too slow to come out and eat and the tangs and wrasses ate everything before they could reach it

My current lyretail eats like a pig

If a more aggressive fish is the smallest fish in the tank it is less likely he will harass the other fish. I had a Fiji Blue Devil Damsel (a mean little fish) and he never bothered the other fish but then he was the smallest. He DID attack and kill my 2 year old plate coral by bombing it with rocks.