Fish questions

yagerboy

Couple of quesions;

I have a B/W perc and want to get him/her a mate. Will they accept clowns that are not the same? B/W perc accept a Gold Stripe Maroon for example? Not sure the sex of the one I have. Will the introduced clown change sex or am I asking for a fight?

Also, have an Algae Blenny; will he and a Mandarin get along? 90 gallon. Mix reef, predominantly reef ( Scopas, B/W Perc, Algae Blenny). Would like to add two Anthias, Mandarin, and possibly another clown. Have had my B/W Perc for over a year since he was tiny, now about 2-2.5 inches.

TIA for advice....

Perc's and maroon no, maroon would probably kill it. I would stick to another perc, or an occi.

The blenny probably won't pay much attention to the mandarin.

Clowns are tough unless they've been raised together. The way it should be done is getting one that's significantly smaller and placing it in a clear basket/breeder box inside you DT. You do this so the other clown sees it and it sees the other clown. Your clown may attempt to attack it at first. After a while it should get used the new clown.

The Maroons are very very hostile. I say more so than any other clownfish,, in my opnion. I made the mistake of purchasing a smaller maroon for my large marooon. After I acclimated it I placed it in the tank. It was dead in less than a half hour. I could not get it out. The larger maroon was brutal and relentless. It didn't stop attacking the new one until it was lying at the bottom of the tank almost dead. I felt terrible for not doing my homework.

I found loads of all kinds of write ups on how to pair clownsfish by doing a search on google. I suggest you do that first.

Not too many fish pay attention to mandarins because of their slimey coat. It tastes very bad to most other critters and smells. The real issue is food.

Edited by Jan's Reef Foods