Calcium reactor w/out kalk reactor???

steveoutlaw

Ok, so I was going to buy a kalk reactor to put on my tank when I came across a deal on a calcium reactor and co2 tank. Are there any issues with running a calcium reactor without a kalk reactor? What are the benifits of having both?

Steve,

Others who have both would be in a better position to answer.

My understanding is that Kalk is our way of raising PH and adding balanced ALkalinity and Calcium- For most systems this is all that is needed. Kalk reactors make it more consistant and releases a bit more stable mix for ones system.

In systems where added Calcium via Kalk is not enough to keep the system in the 350 to 400 PPM of Calcium - mainly an SPS heavy growth tank, then one needs to add a calcium reactor- The nature of the calcium reactor is that the Co2 interacting with a calcium rich medium to release calcium potent effluent. This effluent is generally less than 8.0 PH. To be able to raise the PH kalk is added in the top off as a balanced but PH increasing additive.

I am only running a Ca reactor. It's true that the effluent has a low pH, but it goes to normal when it equilibrates with the tank water. In my experience, the Ca reactor has been much better for alkalinity than using kalk, and my pH doesn't get as high. When I dosed kalk, it would go up to 8.5, which worried me a bit.

From talking to others, supplementing a Ca reactor with a kalk reactor is more a matter of boosting Ca when there's a ton of SPS growth.

Right now I'm just using a cheezball DIY reactor, and it has been fine for modest SPS growth.

I use both and they are DIY.

I read someone likened the CA reactor to more like an Alkalinity reactor. After running the Ca reactor for several months, I understand why they equated it to that.

You can run the Alk up in a heartbeat and even too high too fast.

To the inexperience reefer, I would use a kalk reactor as a stand alone unless evaporation was really high.

To an experienced reefer, I would use a CA reactor and watch the PH and Alk.

One thing kalk does is raise PH but it can also lower Alk if out of balance and the PH gets high.

Since the CA reactor, my PH runs a full point lower and the Alk has remained elevated but more importantly, stable.

For me and my tank, a general rule, if the alk is good, the PH is satisfactory, just a little lower.

I can't read calcium test kits that I have tried.

I'm running a Calc reactor only. My tank is a 75 with small and medium sized easy Monti sps's. I went with a Knop in Feb, and I have to say that it's a pain to dial in. I chose it because of it's reputation and for 135 bucks, I felt that it wasn't worth any savings making one, but I presumed that there was research and testing behind it. People have posted their opinions out there and it's worth doing the research so that you know how the thing behaves and select what you prefer since each has quirks. I see posts about MRC that are positive and it was my second choice. Seems to have a rep. for easy dial-in, but maybe uses more co2. Now apparently if you only dose Kalk, the ionic balance will go off eventually unless you are doing regular water changes.

Chip's correct that it is an alkalinity reactor. WWMedia does clarify that and states the calcium is a positive by-product. There's a middle ground to Chips point though. IF the tank isn't heavily stocked then there's little trick to dialing it in when the load isn't much. You just bring up the co2 slowly. Chip may have a lot more in his tank than you or I :-)

Calfo's takes the opposite view and feels that the average reefer can easily manage the reactor, but if they push Kalwasser too hard and precipitate the calcium, it's really bad news. He does feel that Kalk offers a higher calcium level though if you need it and can manage it...

Just some collected opinions out there....FF

Steve,

Nick "Stonecold" Tank with only a CA Reactor running, not Kalk:

122Nick_Stonecold_243g-med.jpg

Can't argue with his 243g display. But YOU KNOW as soon as you get the Ca running, YOU JUST GOT TO HAVE THE KALK AS WELL! :P

Howard