Starting with Corals

Guest mirosh

Guest mirosh

Hello All you wamasers,

I am fairly new to the hobby and am ready to begin with corals. My tank seems to be extremely stable at this point and all of my rock, sand, and livestock are doing GREAT! I am looking for a new coral that is fairly easy to keep (not too much dosing or anything like that involved) and could possibly act as a surrogate anemone for my clowns. I figured that a hairy mushroom would be a good starter....any other ideas? Also, maybe some kind of xenia or some zoas. If anyone has any tips, let me know...also, I would love to get some frags to try and start out...if anyone has any that they are willing to part with, let me know...we might be able to do some business!

-Mike

Hello All you wamasers,

I am fairly new to the hobby and am ready to begin with corals.  My tank seems to be extremely stable at this point and all of my rock, sand, and livestock are doing GREAT!  I am looking for a new coral that is fairly easy to keep (not too much dosing or anything like that involved) and could possibly act as a surrogate anemone for my clowns.  I figured that a hairy mushroom would be a good starter....any other ideas?  Also, maybe some kind of xenia or some zoas.  If anyone has any tips, let me know...also, I would love to get some frags to try and start out...if anyone has any that they are willing to part with, let me know...we might be able to do some business!

-Mike

37852[/snapback]

I just did a big purge of Xenia this weekend. I have a little more to trim back that I'd be happy to give you. I'm sure you can find others that will do the same.

I also recommend zoos and star polyps as they're fairly easy to keep and will spread nicely. Don't have any frags of either I can offer, but keep an eye out. Somebody's always looking to get rid of something.

Guest mirosh

That sounds great...I would love to get some of your xenia if it isn't too much of an inconvenience. How much do frags usually cost? I am new to this and have no idea what to expect in the coral swapping world? Also, e-mail me at mirosh82@gmail.com so we can discuss a time and place for me to pick it up!

Thanks,

Mike

That sounds great...I would love to get some of your xenia if it isn't too much of an inconvenience.  How much do frags usually cost?  I am new to this and have no idea what to expect in the coral swapping world?  Also, e-mail me at mirosh82@gmail.com so we can discuss a time and place for me to pick it up!

Thanks,

Mike

37854[/snapback]

Prices vary a lot depending on which kind of coral you are looking for. But many members here also give frags for free. :) I have a gray pink sinularia and green capnella that I can frag for you if you are interested in. You are welcome to stop by and pick them up if you are interested. I am in Falls Church.

JM

Hello and welcome!

As many of us will tell you, patience is of utmost importance in this hobby. I'm sure you'll learn some stuff the hard way, just like many of us :)

If you look at sites like marinedepotlive, and liveaquaria, they give some good information about different corals including difficulty to care for, water flow, lighting, etc. Taking a step from a fish only to a reef is a big one as there is alot you have to consider. Do you measure the following parameters yet? :

Salinity (or specific gravity)

Alkalinity

Calcium

Temp (Both min and max)

pH (Both min and max)

ammonia

nitrites

nitrates

phosphates

These are all key things when working on a reef. As far as difficulty goes, a general rule of thumb:

polyps (like yellow polyps, xenia, etc)/shrooms < zoos < soft corals < large polyp stony corals < small polyp stony corals.

Also, you didn't mention any of the equipment you had. What do you have for:

Tank size

sump size (if you have one)

other types of filtration (hang off back types, etc)

skimmer

lights

water flow (powerheads, etc)

any reactors (kalk, calcium, phosban..)

Now, I'm sure I've left some things out... there's alot to the hobby. If you have any questions feel free to post them! I am pretty new to this hobby as well, and I've learned so much from reading this forum and others.

Happy Reefing!

Are those good beginner corals?

37873[/snapback]

Yes and they are free :) and as it was suggested, tell us more about your tank and its setup :)

Guest mirosh

A little bit about my tank for those who are interested:

About a year ago, I started with a 35 gallon tall FOWLR tank and just recently upgraded to a 150 gallon FOWLR with a sump and upgraded equipment (so that I could start my reef).

I have a 55 gallon with a 10 gallon sump, 48" 4x54W T5 HO lighting from sunlight supply, 60 lbs live rock, about 3-4" sandbed, 3 maxijet 1200s on alternating wavemaker timer and a Mag5 return to a self-made spray bar. My skimmer is the AquaC Remora modified to use a ViaAqua 306 injector pump. Livestock includes 1 Yellow Tang, 2 Percs, 1 Coral Beaty, 1 Queen Conch, 1 Serpent Star, 20 Nass snails, 3 trochus snails, and about 10 blue leg and scarlet hermits.

The parameters that I test for are all normal, those being: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, pH 8.2, Salinity 1.024 (CHANGED TYPO), temp constant 77. I top off with self-made RO/DI water dosed with nothing (though I was figuring that if I started corals, I would need to start dosing calcium).

Alright, that's it for my tank setup...if you have more questions, let me know...

-Mike

Edited by mirosh

I have a TON of Capnella, Anthelia, and Xenia (brown and white) that you are more than welcome to have and anyone else for that matter. Some of the xenia is already mounted on rubble, the rest is not.

BB

The parameters that I test for are all normal, those being: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, pH 8.2, Salinity 1.084, temp constant 77.  I top off with self-made RO/DI water dosed with nothing (though I was figuring that if I started corals, I would need to start dosing calcium).

Mike,

Are you sure about your SG? if it is not a typo, it's then way too high. Average SG should be around 1.024.

Otherwise the rest sounds fine to me.

Your lights are in the low end and will be suitable for most soft corals and some LPS. Not for SPS (acroporas for example) IMO.

Guest mirosh

Ooops...typo...my bad...it was supposed to read 1.024 (sorry for the confusion). As for my lights, I know that they are on the lower end, but soft corals and LPS is all I am really interested in...I just want to give the rocks a "live" look.

-Mike

Mike,

Are you sure about your SG? if it is not a typo, it's then way too high. Average SG should be around 1.024.

Otherwise the rest sounds fine to me.

Your lights are in the low end and will be suitable for most soft corals and some LPS. Not for SPS (acroporas for example) IMO.

37914[/snapback]

Ooops...typo...my bad...it was supposed to read 1.024 (sorry for the confusion).  As for my lights, I know that they are on the lower end, but soft corals and LPS is all I am really interested in...I just want to give the rocks a "live" look.

-Mike

37916[/snapback]

PHEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :P Much better, lol

Then I say, you are good to go ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I also am just getting into the reefing. I've had FOWLR tanks for many years and are taking my 30Gal into a reef as we speak. (Don't worry, all of the water specifcs are great). I've moved the lighting to PCs, which I know are MHs, but it'll work for now.

Just wondering if anyone had anything frags they'd like to get rid of out west near Front Royal or Winchester?????? I also work in Manassas.

BTW...new member here....glad I found ya....

Scott

Mike and Scott,

Welcome aboard, I live only a few blocks away from Jean Marie', the Rocking Smurf! :D

If your coming down to his house, LMK, maybe I can cut a frag or two for you of Finger Leather Corals, Capenellas, MR or Green Sinularia?

Howard

PS,

Mike,

Do you have a 150 gallon FOWLR with a sump and/or 55g with 10g sump?

I would seriously recommend upgrading your 10g sump to a 20g ASAP!

Very little room for error in event of a power failure plus will give you more water column to play with. Make sure that your overflows have a small hole drilled in outflow pipes at water line to break suction in case of a failure. Could save you a mess later.

Guest eherrmann
I also am just getting into the reefing. I've had FOWLR tanks for many years and are taking my 30Gal into a reef as we speak. (Don't worry, all of the water specifcs are great). I've moved the lighting to PCs, which I know are MHs, but it'll work for now.

Just wondering if anyone had anything frags they'd like to get rid of out west near Front Royal or Winchester?????? I also work in Manassas.

BTW...new member here....glad I found ya....

Scott

38545[/snapback]

Hey Scott,

Welcome aboard. Yes there are a few of us who live/work out here in the country,

Culpeper/Warrenton areas to be specific. We'll have to hook up when your tank is ready. Let me know what your interested in and we'll dig around in the tank.

Ed

Hey Scott,

Welcome aboard. Yes there are a few of us who live/work out here in the country,

Culpeper/Warrenton areas to be specific. We'll have to hook up when your tank is ready. Let me know what your interested in and we'll dig around in the tank.

Ed

38587[/snapback]

Thanks Ed...

Actually, the tank is ready. I've had my first green stripped shrooms in there for two weeks now. Doing great.

Scott