Anemone via Mail order

BeltwayBandit

I am looking to order an S. Haddoni for my tank and was wondering if anyone here had mail ordered anemones before. I know they are listed as delicate shippers and I was just wondering what your experiences have been with them. My other option is to get Marine Scene to order it for me. They have them listed on their price list at $39 which in all actuality is probably less than if I ordered a plain one mail order and paid shipping. That being said I am actually leaning towards a green one which would run about $80 or so on the mail order sites and I was just wondering what to expect before I drop that kinda money on something that they won't guarantee shipping on.

Thanks

BB

They must ship ok, that's how most of the LFS get theirs, I think they don't guarantee anenomes because most people kill them with the poor water quality in their tanks and try to blame it on the shipping. That's my 2 cents.

I have gotten them by mail order before and they've done OK. Problem is, if it starts to go bad, it goes really bad. Once it starts to deteriorate, it's expedited by the fact that it's in such a small volume of water. In general, as well, you're talking a very large anemone, sometimes around a foot when shipped, and they don't always ship in the larger bags since they can shrink up so much.

Removal, shipping, and reacclimation, are all extremely stressful to anemones even when done correctly. It takes a healthy anemone quite some time to die, so don't count on an LFS having a specimen for a few weeks as a single indicator.

Even if they did, you still need to get it home, acclimated, etc.....see the first sentence again :)

fwiw: If you are looking for a green haddoni, I believe Bryan at Blowfish Aquatics has had a few for months. Send him an email at Bryan@blowfishaquatics.com. He has always taken good care of me and sent me very high quality anemones.

http://www.blowfishaquatics.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=ANM

Best of luck.