Oyster Toadfish

jumpinjoker

I caught one in a crab trap in the canals of Ocean City and would like to know if anyone has kept this pollution tolerant fish before? My mom is only letting me keep him because he's so ugly its unusual. and I know the spines on the dorsal fin are venomous. The picture I put is not mine and will post one of mine soon.

I had a gulf toadfish....for about 2 weeks in my 150g predator tank... they HUGE mouths and can easily swallow large fish..mine only lasted 2 weeks as he attempted to eat my foxface who was about 7inches long and suffocated on him (or died from the venomous spines) either way would never put it in with other fish...except maybe a very large grouper

Edited by smallreef

Don't know how big the one you got is, but I've seen them kept in captivity and they get HUGE, so definitely a species only or VERY large fish tank. Shouldn't be too hard to keep alive though.

I've caught one in the bay that exceeded a foot in length. The Chesapeake Bay Society had one in a 125 on Smith island that ate everything in the tank in two weeks!!!!! Even the other toadfish!!!!!