Photo ID please

.OptimusPrime.

Saw these two today on a small piece of raw shimp the eel left behind.

I think its a bristleworm (seen one a little bigger than this one) and a serpent star. Serpent stars seem to have a good rep. and bristleworms not so much.

Just trying to confirm and ask what to do with em?

Te2Qa.jpg?1

(edited)

That's what I figured.

Is there any sure fire remedy for the bristles other than picking them out(GLOVES!)?? I've seen a few small ones for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I've had the tank up and running for almost a year now and I added some LR from a members tank probably 5 if not more months ago.

I've never seen the worms up until about 1 week or so ago. Is it possible that they've stayed hidden all this time? I assume they came from the LR, since I started with all dry pieces prior to that.

This is the first time I've seen the star.

Edited by .OptimusPrime.

--Is there any sure fire remedy for the bristles other than picking them out(GLOVES!)??

I've always used some old tweezers, also considered getting an arrow crab - but I dont think it could tackle my huge blue bristleworms (who I'm most afraid of doing damage). The smaller pink ones (like yours pictured) are usually fine, they eat detritus/leftovers in places most things cant get to.

--I've never seen the worms up until about 1 week or so ago

They burrow/hide in your live rock and come out at night. If all you have are small pink ones then it's very likely you haven't seen them.

And if you get stung, just let your finger soak in some vinegar for a few minutes. They dissolve quickly and don't hurt very much at all. *Note - I have yet to be stung by one of my big ones lol.

Watch out for arrow crabs, they are notorious predators of everything they can grab, even larger sleeping fish.

As far as the worms, removing a single one won't really make much of an impact as you probably have hundreds if not thousands of them. They simply clean up the tank. If you want to remove them, it's easiest if you kill them first by running some freshwater over them. Then, when you pull on them, they won't be holding on and won't break in half. I agree with the others, if you get some bristles, just soak in vinegar. I usually soak for about a minute at most (I have no patience) and then just rub the vinegar around. The bristles dissolve and then you're left with a fishy vinegary smelling hand...