ro/di unit

Guest alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

it FINALY happened, i got mine! but the bad thing is i dont have an adaptor. i put it all together last night and i two questions. one, how does the storage tank work? like how do you get the water out of it?!? two, do you think home depot has adaptors for

The tubing is standard tubing for ice makers. If you go to Home Depot, just look for the section that sells 1/4" tubing and get the fittings there. You can get a hose adapter that is specifically for that size tubing and then get a faucet adapter for it as well. The tank itself is used for storage purposes for drinking water. It will hold about 2 or 3 gallons of water (typically) and then stop the filter from drawing more water. I don't use the storage tank at all on mine since I don't use it for drinking water. I just let it run into a bucket or tub and that's it. IMO, the storage tank actually slows down production since it stops the unit from filtering water once it's full.

Guest alex wlazlak

well i have 2 tubes that run our from the top of the unit, and one goes to the storage tank, and the one that could be hooked up to a fauet that came with the system.there is a ball valve on the tube that goes out to the tank, but can i just unplug it and leave it closed? and does water come out of both of the blue tubes?

post-572-1124488999_thumb.jpg

Based on your picture it looks like my unit. Water goes both to and from the tank through the valve - I would leave it closed (cuts the tank out of the picture) until you are satisfied the water is good. Make sure not to use the first few gallons out of it as they are rinsing out the membrane. From the pic (I can't be certain), it looks like water comes IN the red line (that adapter is to pierce the copper line under the sink). Waste water will come OUT the yellow line (the black valve is a backflush valve, leave it open as shown in your pic). Filtered water will come OUT of any other lines not attached. It will take awhile for the entire filter to fill up with water at first.

Guest alex wlazlak

thanks alot. can i just leave the yellow one drain down the sink? is it okay if i use waste water for my turtles tank?(only less than half way full in a 10g) and can i open the valve from the tank (but unplug the tank) and use both of the blue lines to get like twice as much water? or should i only have water come out of one of the blue lines at a time?

Red, like dchild said, is where you attach it to your water line, whether you use the saddle valve or you use a faucet attachment. From there, it goes through your first 3 stages (filter and carbon block). Next, it exits the first three stages through the white line and goes into what I think is your RO membrane through the white line, coming out in the blue line. The blue line on the right is the water that has passed through, and again, like dchild said, the yellow is waste water. The water then passes through what looks like a DI chamber. From there, it goes into your storage tank or goes through what looks to be a "taste" filter. It's basically another carbon filter, although I'm not sure why it's there. Read through your instructions and see what the last stage is because it could be unnecessary, or it could be better to switch it to before the DI chamber.

Your storage tank will is already RO/DI water which will then pass through your final filtration stage. Again, since mine is not hooked up all of the time, I don't use the tank. If you'd like to remove it, simply change out the fitting from the last stage or simply close the valve and remove it from the tank.

As far as uses for the rejected water, it will have fewer types of contaminants, but it will also have a higher concentration of the remaining ones than normal tap water. It will also be "hard" water from what I understand. I'd just go ahead and use the tap water for your turtle, or, since you most likely won't need all the water that can be made from your filter, simply use the final product.

Guest alex wlazlak

yeah, we have a well so the water is hard period. im going to home depot tomorow, and ill pick up an adaptor.. as far as additives for the ro/di water, is there anything i should get?

What is the water pressure coming from your well? If it does not meet the min. PSI (40 I think) you may need a booster pump to get any clean water. The reason is the membrane requires this pressure to force the water through it.

Get a pressure gauge and put it on your sink adapter. I think they even sell ones that are pre-built for the sink. If not, simply get the fittings. Tell the guy there what you're doing.

Also, if you're using well water, you might have other problems. You might want to pick up an extra pre-filter larger than what you have. You most likely have a 10 micron and then a 5 micron, or maybe a 5 micron and then a 1 micron, I would add a filter on before that is larger than that and also a carbon block before hand because well water can have a ton of things in it that aren't present in city water, including in this area a ton of iron and other heavy metals.

The guy that you bought the unit from should have emailed the instructions to measure the pressure of your feed water.

1. Attach the feed water to the small pressure tank and fill it.

2. Close the feed water AND the tank "ball" valve.

3. Remove the feed tube and attach a tube with your pressure gauge that you received with the unit.

4. Open the ball valve and your pressure gauge should reveal to you the magic number.

Good luck...

Alex,

The shipping confirmation/UPS tracking e-mail you got has both the installation directions and warranty in line in the e-mail. Print it out and read it.

Also in the box, that little thing that looks like a tire guage, that is a water pressure guage. The light blue box contains your TDS meter.

Re read both the directions and all the posts/tips BEFORE you use your new unit.

HTHAPTTR,YADMC

Guest alex wlazlak

thanks a bunch. yeah i got a psi measurer with it. thanks for all the help guys!

Guest alex wlazlak

i got the adaptor now, but its 5:15 and im trying to see what i did wrong with it, cause rite now it aint workin. but ill doodle around with it.

Guest alex wlazlak

nevermind, its working just fine now. i made a few gallons for the tank, and tasted some, and suprisingly its good! but thanks for all the advice and help.

Mine smells like chicken. Whaz-up w/ dat? Does anybody's filtered water ever smell funny?

Guest alex wlazlak

haha. it doesnt quite taste like chicken. but so far the things working great. but ive got a leak in the compression fitting (i think thats what it is), and i dont want to tighten it too much because the guy said it could brake.but ill fiddle around with it a little bit more:)