Scientists Declare State of Emergency for World

CAIRNS, Australia, Jul 10 2012 (IPS) - Coral reef scientists urged local and national governments to take action to save the world

(edited)

In all practical terms - is there really any way for us to reverse what we've done to the oceans aside from just leaving the planet?

Mankind's population has been on the exponential rise with no signs of leveling out (let alone decreasing) for hundreds of years. No matter how 'responsible' the policies lawmakers may put into place, are we still not doomed to produce too much waste?

I hate to sound like a fatalist, but really - is there even any hope? I'm really frightened to find out what happens to non-marine biological factors when 90%+ of the life in the ocean loses its habitat (and inevitably dies).

I really don't think any actions taken by any lawmaker can solve the problem. I'm also fairly certain that the U.S. and India are not likely to adopt a China-like replacement-only reproductive policy - so the world population is going to continue to increase on an exponential scale. We're not going to turn back to pre-industrial-revolution technology/lifestyles (unless forced to by depletion of oil reserves). Isn't that really the cause? Too many people X mass produced waste = no hope of balance.

Edited by wogga

Unfortunately i have to agree with Wogga

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2