150w or 70w Sunpod

BrendanG

(edited)

I've been debating LED vs. MH lighting options for my New Manta Ray 15.

Research, and some personal experience seems to suggest that Zoas do very well under intense Metal Halide Lighting.

I'm now looking into purchasing either a 150w or 70w Sunpod. I will primarily be keeping zoanthids, maxi and rock anemone's.

My past zoanthid dominated tank was a Aquapod 12, lit by a 150w Sunpod. (16.5"L X 12"W X 13.75"H.)

The legs are 2.5" tall

004.jpg[/img]

005.jpg

009.jpg

I'm curious about the shallow tank depth of the Manta Ray (15x15x9) and Metal Halide Overkill, but as evidenced by my previous tank, the zoa's seem to be relatively unaffected by the light intensity?

I'm looking for a little bit of insight, personal obeservations and reccomendations, regarding my lighting options.

I want good growth, good color, and have a preference for 150w Pheonix 14k Bulbs.

Would You go with the 150w or 70w Based on the pictures and your experience with zoa's, and their light tolerance/adaptability?

Heat and evaporation issues aside...

Edited by BrendanG

I had a 70w MH and a 2x24 T5 over my 20L. the temp and chemical swings were very diffucult to deal with... personally, this is one of hte few areas where I would go LED. I would say yes, MH is overkill for zoos... T5 or LED would be fine