Bulkhead size question

Ne0eN

Does anyone use 3/4" bulkheads that MarineDepot sells? I need to find out what the maximum size hole this bulkhead will work on. The website says 1.5" and I even called MarineDepot, but they would not actually take the time and measure it. I'd like to figure this out soon so that I can order 1" bulkheads for my refugium project if necessary. My 20gal refugium has 1.75" holes. Thanks!

-Rob

I don't know what the type they sell are, but I am pretty sure that would be too big. A lot of the bulkheads I have seen are made by either Amiracle or All Glass (can't remember which....) so if you do a search on their sites, maybe you can see what the max size hole is. If I remember correctly, they say you need either a 1 1/2" or 1 7/16" hole, and the 1 1/2 has a ton of play in the hole, too much if you ask me.

The max size I guess would be a little under 2" since the flange is a tad over 2". I wouldn't feel very good about it though and would not suggest trying it. Ideally, you want a hole around 1.5". I just measured one I have here and thread to thread, I measure it as 1 3/8". So 1 7/16" would give you a 1/16" of clearance. If the 3/4 bulkhead were a schedule 80, it might be OK. I'd go with the 1" though if they only have the schedule 40 bulkheads though.