REFUGIUM

reef addict

Hello room,

Need some advise on my 25gl refugium. When I set it up, i only put 1/2" of fine sand. Just found out that it needs at least 3" of sand. Ever since I set up two month ago, never had my chaeto grown. Will it be this reason why? Please advise if I need to completely take all the sand out from my refugium and clean it before addiding more sand?

Thanks in advance!

No need to clean the sand, just add the new sand on top of it. Having or not having sand will not affect the chaeto. Either the lighting is not enough, not enough nutrients, flow is extremely low, or something is eating it.

Where did you hear that it had to be at least 3"? That is a myth that you need this. A refugium is simply a place where things can grow unmolested. Adding a shallow sand bed of up to 3" is simply allowing some other types of life to grow and possibly adding some buffering capability to the sand, but it's not deep enough to become anaerobic and denitrify your water. Anything between a dusting and 3" of sand is pretty much going to accomplish the same thing, not much of anything in terms of water quality. If you are looking to do a deep sand bed, you're going to need to go deeper than 3" but I wouldn't advise it in a refugium as I think it is too difficult to accomplish without ending up with a nutrient sink in the long term.

What do you guys think the best flow rate through a refugium about 25 gallons is? That is if it's off a return line how much flow do you think is best for growing macros? I just set one up and I have always done it in the sump. I have the option to run another 1/2" line to it and crack the return valve all the way open. I don't see how it could hurt anything, probly better than adding a powerhead I would think.

I use a Tunze power head in my fuge for flow.. Chaeto loves flow and the propeller pump does not chop up the pods. Chaeto also loves light. I I light mine to about 400 PAR with LEDS. I throw away 3 to 5 gallons of chaeto every 2 weeks.

How many gph is running through the fuge though? I am wondering if the more the better. I have read a lot where people are using just a small turnover in their fuge but I wanted to see if anyone uses a high turnover in their fuge and if so did they see a difference?

Well, I had a detailed post almost ready to send and accidentally blew it all away - and I don't have time to re-write it now. :angry: In the meantime, anyone have spare chaeto? I need to replenish/replace what I have for my various tanks. Thanks!