Help homing my Yellow african starry puffer

juice it

Hi Guys,Dave Lin was kind enough to direct me over here to hopefully find someone local that may be able to help. I have an african starry puffer that we have had now for around 4 years that is in perfect health but I just feel like my 200 gallon tank is not optimal for him. I bought him as a baby from Divers Den and assumed he would mimic the growth pattern of the golden puffer that my father in law has but that was not the case. We love the fish and it is doing just fine but I would love to see it go to a much larger home than ours. I am not concerned with money, I just have to know that it goes to a very responsible person with a large enough set up. He eats the very large sized spectrum pellets (or anything else you care to give him) and does not bother with our eel or the other little fish in the tank. Feel free to shoot me an email with any questions. We are in gaithersburg,md.

Thanks, Jeff MrSmoothieJM@aol.com

post-2633224-133562851213_thumb.png

Edited by juice it

Anyone know if any part of Dave W.'s 2000 gallon system set up yet? His set up would be big enough.

Hey guys, don't forget that he's looking for a minimum size home of at least 300 gallons. We've got a few people on here who could house a fish that large so if you know of someone with a tank at least that large that has a lower stocking list, please let them know. Dave's system comes to mind as does Justin's and the 1,000 gallon tank that some members helped set up a few years ago. I know there's some other large systems floating around out there, too, so feel free to let them know about this one.

Unfortunately I would say no on the reef safe question. He is in a fish only tank and I am sure he would not be too kind to corals. If anyone that has the room considers it, just let me know and I would be happy to have you come see it first before making any decision.

Thanks

Still looking guys. So far no one has even come to check him out. Hope I didn't make it seem like he is a monster. He is really a cool fish, just needs more room.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a possible friend with a monster tank that may not be on here? He is such a cool fish, I would have thought this would be easy. So far not one person has checked him out. Any lead would be great.

Thanks guys!

It's not that we don't want him. I think it's us being responsible members and we don't have a tank large enough.

I agree and completely understand and appreciate that he has certain needs and I don't want to put him in a situation that is not much better than where he is now. Hopefully we will find that home.

Jeff

Cool fish, I wish I could give it a home in one of my big coral tubs but correct on the non-reef safe aspect. They are notorious for eating every living invert in sight. That guy would probably eat a few $hundred a week in coral! Good luck finding a home, but honestly I wouldn't be too concerned about a 200gal tank as they are not "cruisers" like tangs and unless it gets too big to turn around, probably will live happily in your tank. I've heard that you should feed them plenty of hard shelled food (hermit crabs) to keep it's beak/tooth in good shape long term.

I have a friend who has a shop in Clayton North Carolina, that has a huge pond. He may take it from you.

www.reefkeepersaquarium.com