howard

Guest alex wlazlak

Guest alex wlazlak

hey howardofnova, did you get your ro/di unit yet??? i was bidin on a maxxima for $50 and in 30 seconds some douchebag made the price $120..but did you get yours yet, and do you like it?

Guest alex wlazlak

wow! ebay is such a troublesum site. is it just me or do other people think ebay is retarded?isnt it soposed to be easy and simple..you gotta fill out fifty friggin forms just to bid for somthing, when you win, you gotta set up a darn paypal thing...its just too stressfull!!

Alex:

I've complemented you on the progress you've made with your tank.

Now I have to also tell you to curb the tough psuedo profanity. Notice that it's rare to see a post with that on it.

Thanks,

Ff

Alex,

Any RO/DI unit will work, just choose one that meets your budget and needs and go for it! Chip got one recently online for about $90 included a bunch of bells and whistles.

Howard

Guest alex wlazlak

haha, i do not know steveoutlaw..just one of those days.;)okay, i finaly bought one and i paid like $150, and its and aquasafe off of ebay. im not sure if the payment went through rite or what happened, but hopefully it'll be here soon.

Alex,

I got the 6 stage from AS and it arrived on Thursday. I hooked it up on Friday and made water with a TDS of 004 after and hour or so.

I assume you got the wrench, pressure gauge, and hand held TDS meter with your 150.00 price?

There are several ways to hook them up so think about the options beforehand with your father.

I chose not to drill the hole in the COLD water line. Instead, I got an ice maker fitting and modified it to my existing connection. In your case, I would do all my water with the unit in the laundry sink until you are clear on the function. All these units can and will leak until you get the bugs worked out.

Guest alex wlazlak

yeah my dad was flippin out about where ill put it and all....so i am not allowd to drill into and existing lines (cause the house will be a pool in the morning!) and he said i cant attatch it to the wall in the laundry room, which i think is stupid, but whatever..ill try to reason. is it okay if i just hook it up to the sink fauset in the laundry room? like would that work fine, or would getting someone to drill into the pipes be better?

yeah my dad was flippin out about where ill put it and all....so i am not allowd to drill into and existing lines (cause the house will be a pool in the morning!) and he said i cant attatch it to the wall in the laundry room, which i think is stupid, but whatever..ill try to reason. is it okay if i just hook it up to the sink fauset in the laundry room? like would that work fine, or would getting someone to drill into the pipes be better?

35784[/snapback]

you can hook it up to any cold water source, it makes absolutely no difference.

Alex,

NO DRILLING!

Just go to HD, p/u 1 - 18" Steel Hose Connector, Tee fitting, adapter to go to 1/4" John Getz fitting and 1/4 plastic tubing to RO/DI unit.

UNDER THE SINK:

From cold water line coming through the wall under the sink, you will have probably a copper fitting with a knob to turn on/off water and a tubing connector tee going out of the top to the cold water faucet in sink.

Shut off water, remove the old tubing between tee and faucet.

Attached New Tee to Knob Tee then 18" Hose Connector to faucet.

Now from New Tee, you connect adapter to get you to 1/4" John Getz fitting. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, but this IS NOT hard and when you see the picture anyone can do it. VERY SIMPLE- KISS.

Howard

I hook it up to the sink faucet(got an adapter that switches out the nozzle part) or outside to the garden hose. The only thing I noticed different is the output of good water. I seem to get better output with the sink faucet, not sure because of the temp or better pressure from the sink.

Good Luck

Doug

Guest alex wlazlak

okay. i think ill just end up getting what reelsteel did. thats a good idea. thanks everybody!

That's great alex.

The advice about leaks is solid, my unit has a tiny ldrip, and I've tried to fix each time I replaced the cartridge. It's better...

Write down the date you set it up. if you don't have a meter then just replace the cartridge at a reasoanble interval. I think they are good for three months, maybe more if the water isn't too bad.

Oh, and the last filter set I had lasted only two months. If your water district flushes the pipes like mine did, it all comes downstream to our filters and splat, brown gunk for everyone! Overnight my filter cut off.

FF

Guest alex wlazlak

haha, well it says mine comes with a free tds meter.it should be arriving tomorrow or sunday, but im leaving tommorow night for a week or two, which i hate because my dad only feeds my fish, i came back from being gone for a week, and the tank was like 2-3 inches low! im gonna ask him to fill it with distiled until i get back to hook up the ro/di unit.but they said they shiped it yesterday!

If you got the aqua safe systems one, be prepared to wait a little while for it to ship.. thats the one I got, and it came from canada (I recall it having the tds meter option too), and it took about 10 days to ship.

Sadly, I've been procrastinating, so I haven't even hooked it up; I've had the thing for like 2 months now.

Guest alex wlazlak

why dont you hook it up?!?? it says this ones from blaine washington...ill just have to wait then:( no biggie

Well I don't want to puncture a water line. And I forgot to get the adapter. So I went to home depot. They don't have any adapters... I went for a long drive to fergusons plumbing, only to find out they have the worst hours ever. - Basically, because I work a 9-5 job, I really couldn't get there when they were open (and heck if I"m going to go in early saturday morning)

I ordered one online, from the company I bought the unit from. Took another 10 days to arrive. went to the sink, and found out that I need an adapter for the adapter! (the sink part, because of the faucet I have, is backwards)

So I still have to go get another adapter, and I've just been procrastinating to do it..

Alex,

Blaine, WA is the "city of destination" in the USA, then it gets shipped out to you.

10 days is more accurate if your lucky, I wasn't and from the sounds of your posts, you aren't either.

We like your Dad and you should too. Stop belittling him, it makes YOU look bad.

Almost like you know more than him. Can you say "respect" ? It goes a long way.

Flotila,

I probably have the piece you need, which you can have, bring your faucet over and we'll check.

If it's still there, Whites hardware in Olney or another local type hardware store will probably have the adapter fitting you need and be more helpful than HD.

Guest alex wlazlak

doesnt it come with an adaptor? when you scroll down on the link to the site i thoguht it showed a list of stuff that comes with it, and it had 3 adaptors for sink, garden hose, and somthing else.

they don't send the sink or garden hose adapter, just the piece to puncture your cold water line.

I'm not sure if whites hardware still exists.. they keep changing all the stores every time I come back. I think that may be the place on the corner of 97 and 28.

Guys,

Read my Lips! YOUR MAKING THIS WAY TO HARD ON YOURSELVES! :)

First take a look at this HD link: http://www.homedepot.com

Go to" > Know How > Plumbing > Installing A New Faucet

This shows how to install a faucet.

#1 95% of all faucets start with either PVC or most probably copper tubing coming out of the wall underneath your kitchen sink.

At the end of that CURRENT setup is a brass or stainless steel valve like this:

OK, these links are not working, pull up part number in search field: Brasscraft

1/2 In. X 3/8 In. X 3/8 In. Brass Dual Outlet Angle Supply Valve, Model CR1901LR R, Internet/Catalog #549901, Store SKU #121457

#2 Coming out of this or similiar valves will be either copper tubing, pvc/plastic tubing that will run to the cold water faucet connection on top of the sink. Not all, just about 95.55% of them :)

#3 Now that you have discovered WHAT YOU HAVE, turn the valve to the off position, normally turning clockwise to do so!

#4 Now that the water is shut off, take a wrench and ELIMINATE the hose/tubing between valve and sink faucet connection.

#5 Replace with a piece of either 16" or 20" steel flex hosing, first putting white plumbers tape on threads of fitting, placing tight clockwise on threads. Then screw the top piece of steel flex hosing on top section of faucet connection and tightening with wrench. Here is a picture of flex tubing: MAINTENANCE WAREHOUSE

16 In. Stainless Steel Flexible Water Supply ,Model M1F16-546376, Internet/Catalog #546376

#6 Now that you have flex tubing dangling from faucet connection. Between the dangling bottom of flex tubing and valve, you put a "Tee" valve, apply white plumbers tape and tighten up together. Now what you have is copper tubing coming out of water, valve with on/off knob going into "T" into flex tubing to faucet.

#7 Now on that "T", which should match all fittings, probably Male on all 3 ends, you need to put a Small Shutoff Valve adding plumbers tape on threaded ends first.

#8 Out of Shut off Valve is a Female End John Getz Fitting over male end, of course, add plumbers tape on threaded ends first. TELL ME WHEN I LOSE YOU?

#9 Coming out of John Getz fitting is 1/4" plastic tubing TO RO/DI Unit

Congrats, you just got a hooked up RO/DI to under sink unit, that if you sell, move or want to transfer to somewhere else, just disconnect the flex tubing from the tee, shut off valve and John Getz fitting and reattach the flex tubing to shutoff valve.

Tools needed:

1 roll plumbers tape

1 wrench

Materials:

1- 12-20" Flex Tubing

1- Tee Fitting

1- Shutoff Valve

1- John Getz fitting

1/2 hour of time. :D

Howard

I used to go there as kid. (97/28) Just an outdoor eguipment place now?

They at one time opened a store on 108 in a shopping center on the left.

Either way, a good local harware store is a good bet.

Alex,

If you got the same as me, it will have a self tapping ( they reccomend drilling a 1/8 hole in the pipe after tapping for better flow/pressure) devise to attach to a cold water pipe of your choice. I did not use it. It will also have a waste line devise.

Folta, you can have it (self tapping thing) if you want it.

Guest alex wlazlak

thanks howard, but "the boss man" said i cant screw around with the pipes. ill just find a fauset adaptor for in the laundry room. thank you all!!